Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9 pounds of pork

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have 9 pounds of pork in the small. The fire was still going strong this morning at 9am after cooking for 15 hours. I actually cheated and added more lump at 9 rather than seeing if it could have gone another 5 hours with what was left...[p]My question is, it's been cooking at 200ish all night (I think) but the internal temp is only 140*. Is that normal? Should it have risen faster? Could the plateau have started at that low of a temp?[p]Looking for some guidance from the butt experts of the world. I guess my plan is just to sit back and wait. It's too early for a beer, so I'll have to find other ways to amuse myself.[p]Later,
Cornfed

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]You can kick up the temp to 225º-230º. If you are cooking indirect kick it up to 250º-275º. Between 2-3 hours per pound is not unusual.[p]Can't believe Eggfest 2001 is already 1 week over. I have been putting the mini thru it's paces. When they say mini, they ain't kidding. Maureen bought 2 chicken breasts during the week that barely fit on the grill.[p]Steaks, Simpsons and Sopranos tonight.[p]Regards,
    Jobu[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]It will never get done at 200*.....I always cook mine at 250* direct and I have yet to have a failure or anything less that perfect.[p]Sounds like you have got some good eating planned for later today.[p]Bob

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Cornfed,
    You got good advice as to the cooking temps. But you blew it on you last comment.[p]Thought you learned better at EGGfest E2K+l.[p]'BEER, IS NOT JUST FOR BREAKFEST ANYMORE" Enjoy!!! hehe

• Grumpa
    Options
    JJ,[p]Neither is Mint Juleps....hehehe[p]When you coming to Atlanta for that lunch?[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cornfed, this isn't making my day! I cannot add a thing except good morning, hows the beer?
    C~W
    BTW..did anyone get any pictures of than Sean Pauls new hinge?
    I had high hopes I could quit working on it..:-)[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bob:[p]I agree, butt (or ribs) done at 250º results in a perfect product. But if one prefers to cook at 200º dome then the dome temperature needs to be kicked up as the cook nears 180º/190º internal so the cook can be completed.[p]There is nothing beter than the fragrant smell of pork (butt or ribs) with some Jack Daniel's chips filling the still morning air!

• Grumpa
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]I could not agree more about the smokey morning air. Been there many times with my coffee on the patio. Tell me tho...how is it with the JD chips? I have always used hickory and apple and have not tried the JD chips on pork. I used them once on steak and they were excellent.[p]I agree on the kicking up the temp toward the end, but it does require more cooking time. I have found the 250* all the way thru works well for me and always produces excellent results.[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bob:[p]I never have had luck doing anything more than "low and slow" with chips or chunks . . . They just burn too quick to flavor anything being grilled.[p]Regarding the JD chips, there is a unique aroma of the JD spirits released when the chips start to smolder. Even non-drinkers (but avid lovers of "Q") become mystified and captivated by this unique smoke experience. Try some on your next ribs or butt, I think you will like them.