Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

40 lbs of pork success and issues

JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well overall the 40lb of pork cook went well. The fire was spot on all night. It went out at about 2PM this afternoon and I had to use a wiggle stick and open up the vents to get it back up. The temp had only dropped to about 180.[p]Because of the lack of air space between butts the cook lasted much longer. I actually had to pull 2 butts off at 3 PM wrap in foil and put in the oven. These were the two that had made it through the plateau. Then I bumped the temp on the egg up to 350 and tried to push the other three (bottom ones from the original stack) up to pullable. The got to about 172 and then I ran out of time. Wrapped them threw all five in to a cooler and off to serve. Nice industrial kitchen at church so the undercooked three stayed wrapped in foil and place in a 300 degree over. I pulled the two most well done and started to get ready to serve. Within one hour we served all the pork to about 90-100 adults and children. [p]It met with rave reviews. Several y"ou should open up a restaraunt" comments. All in all a succesful cook. I'm supposed to do it again in about 8 weeks. I may have to find another large in the area to borrow since they told me to make about 60 lbs next time.[p]John

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    JM3,
    Congrats on the cook, it gets stressful but it sure is satisfying. -RP

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    JM3,[p]That sounds like it went very good to me. Using foil and an oven is something all of us have done before. Knowing when to make the call is what's important.[p]If you have never had it, chopped pork is great for sandwiches too. I make it intentionally.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    4buttsinbowl.jpg
    <p />JM3,[p]Congrats, John. That's quite an accomplishment. I'm impressed that you did so much at once.[p]I am BY NO MEANS a butt expert or catering expert, but if you can't get a hold of another Egg next time, you may consider doing multiple cooks. That's what I had to do when I cooked 30lbs of pork for a party and all I had was one Medium - I did two butts one night, pulled and stored in freezer bags in the fridge, then cooked the next two the following night before the party, pulled the day of the party. I reheated the first two portions in the bags in boiling water and mixed in with the freshly pulled portions in a huge bowl - no one knew the wiser and, frankly, you couldn't tell the difference between the freshly pulled batch and the reheated batch (trust me, I did plenty of tasting).[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex,[p]How many butts are in that huge serving bowl? Is that all 4, or 3?[p]Ottawa_egger
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Ottawa_egger,[p]That's all 4.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning JM3:[p]Sounds like it turned out pretty good. Please feel free to contact me about "borrowing" one (or both) of my large eggs for the cook in a couple of weeks. Use the email in my profile.[p]See you next weekend in Ocala.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    SSN686,[p]Jay thanks. See you next week.[p]John