Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portuguese Blade Meat

Options
fournier88
fournier88 Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone from the New England area or of Portuguese heritage may be familiar with Blade Meat (spiced pork) sandwiches. Received a Dutch Oven from my wife on Valentines day and will be breaking it in this Sunday (hopefully)by making some Blade Meat. An awesome sandwich if served on a good ole fashion Portuguese roll. Was curious if anyone here has tried it on the egg.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    fournier88,
    ive done portuguese pork vindaloo, but not spice meat sandwiches. my grandmother was from the azores and im from newengland and have never see the stuff. would like to try it if you have a recipe, been putting allspice into a lot of dishes lately, seems to be in alot of recipes from the azores. my grandmother was a good cook, but not to big on spicey

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fournier88
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I am actually working on getting the recipe this week for Sunday's cook. Will keep you posted. I know its not that difficult but is very good!!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    fournier88,[p]Isn't the internet Marvelous[p]Google is your Friend :)[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    fournier88,
    if you are getting the recipe from someone portuguese, ask if they know what spices go into an olla podrida (rotten pot), its kinda a stew that gets separated into courses at the end, broth soup, then veggies, then meat. would go good with that dutch oven. web searches bring it up, but never a complete recipe as it is made with lots of different meats.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    fournier88,[p]You've a good wife!! What size DO did you get?[p]Now, when are WE going to be doing this cook? Your neighbor across the street should be included in all things EGG shouldn't he?
  • fournier88
    Options
    Sundown,[p]The Dutch oven is 7 qts. I am hoping to do this cook on Sunday.[p]For anyone interested here are the ingredients:[p]Furtado's Blade Meat
    Furtado's Portuguese Marinade
    Crisco shortening
    1 Bottle of quality beer
    Red Wine
    Crushed Red Pepper[p]Place it all in the Dutch Oven for a few hours and then place on a fresh Portuguese roll. Damn I cant wait!!!!