Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Daisy Wheel Stuck

edited 1:48PM in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]The daisy wheel on my large egg is stuck. The inside is coated with gunk and I can't open it.[p]Any ideas on how to get it working again, or do I need to break down and buy a new one?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FlatEricFlatEric Posts: 56
    Quick23,
    Heat it and the gunk will loosen. Do you use a Mapp?

• El JefeEl Jefe Posts: 96
    Quick23,
    fire up the egg and put it inside. also, when shutting down, put it inside. keeps it out of the weather and burns off the gunk.

• FlatEric,[p]I don't use the mapp torch. I usually keep it inside the grill when I finish grilling, so I assumed that would keep the junk from building up on it.[p]Should I just put it in the coals tonight instead of leaving it on the grid?
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    Quick23,
    not a big deal, once it heats up it will be fine, you dont need it any way till the egg is hot, so no worrys

• BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    quick23,
    I put mine in a pot of boiling water to get all the gunk off. It takes about an hour to remove most of the gunk. If you can't get it open now just whack the top with the holes with your ash tool. That will get youe going. Good luck, Tom

• JakeJake Posts: 92
    quick23,
    Do not put it directly on the coals. It will get too hot and rust.
    Jake

• DrivrDrivr Posts: 163
    Quick23,
    when mine got that way I put it in the egg then brougt it up to nuke temps for a few minutes. put the cap on the egg to put it out and the next day it was clean.

• icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    Quick23,[p]
    It is kind of like an old cast iron skillet....All you need to do to clean cast iron is throw in on the hot coals...[p]I did this to a 100 year old skillet that was nasty...I just fired up the egg and then threw the skillet onto the coals...[p]Same goes for the daisy wheel...[p]after it is clean spray it with pam..or it will rust.

• MACMAC Posts: 442
    Quick23,[p]Bucket, warm water, cup of amonia. Set outside or in the garage for a couple of hours or over night. Should loosen up.