Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control Issue

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I have mentioned in some earlier posts, I've been having temp control problems with my large Egg. Anything over 250 creeps up and I can't get it below 200, even with Spin's suggested openings. The Missouri distributor for BGE was in town today to put on a demonstration and I went by to ask him about it. First I told him about a very slight gap in the felt on the bottom back by the autolock hinge. He indicated that that IS a problem and will send me a scrap of felt to fix it. He also suggested the following: take a business card and lay it sticking out in back. Close the lid and try to remove the card. It should "tug back" a bit as you try to remove it. If it doesn't then the autolock hinge hasn't been installed properly. He suggested opening the lid fully and have someone rock it back and forth while you GENTLY use a monkey wrench to pry the back lower where those flanges stick out. Operational word is GENTLY and it will take several attempts. When the card "tugs back" then it's on right.[p]Kelly

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Kelly Royse-Keefe,
    speaking of temp control problems....
    I cant get my MINI below 300. I started with it at 250, using the damper on top slightly opened...have the bottom vent opened just a hairline...climbed to almost 400.
    ST

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    You are letting the fire get too hot. At about 150* start closing down the bottom vent to about 1/8" and barely have the top open. It will stay around 250* that way. The mini climbs very fast to temp and hard to bring down..

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Kelly Royse-Keefe,
    I'm having a similar problem, but I think it relates to my learning curve. Yesterday it was cold and rainy; 350 was my target temp, and all day long, with draft and chimney open wide the best I could get was 300. Warmer today and I can get 350, but I'm still more like 1/2 to 3/4 inch draft and daisy wheel 1/2 plus open.