Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

40 lbs of boston butt on

JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I just put 40 lbs of pork butt on my egg. 5 boston butts weighing between 7.5 and 8.5 pounds. I couldn't get my extended grate on so I just stacked two on top of the three. I guess it may take a bit long but I have until 4PM tomorrow evening. [p]JOhn

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    JM3, you'll be fine but check the meat temp on each butt individually. They will finish at different times.

• JM3
    Wise One,[p]Thanks for the reassurance and advice. I will.[p]John
  • El Jefe
    El Jefe Posts: 96
    JM3,
    just a thought, you may want to rotate them during the cook, if possible.

• Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Please be sure to post your results, I'd be very interested to hear how it went. Also - Large BGE, platesetter legs up?
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    JM3,
    After they cook for several hrs, and “shrinkage” starts, you may be able to put in your extended grate. Just a thought and good luck. Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • JM3
    Shoe,[p]Yup. LG BGE, Platesetter Legs up. It is nights like this that XL is looking good. I've only done 36 to 40 pounds of pork 3 times now.[p]John

• Cabdriver
    Cabdriver Posts: 69
    JM3,
    I've seen several posts that show the butts being stacked next to each other on end, kinda leaning in to each other on the grid (not raised grid). I've only see three in this fashion. Did you think of trying this? Do you think you will get a good bark on the butts where they "butt" up against each other stacked one on top of the other? Just curious.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    El Jefe, if you do that you violate Elder Ward's rule: "Do not open the dome until you are ready to check for doneness." It's really not necessary and you have a good chance of ripping the butts apart in the process.

• JM3
    Here are some pictures of the pork[p]Before going on
    40lbsofBostonButt001.jpg[p]Had a good nights sleep. Got up once at 2:30 and the temp on the egg hadn't moved all night. Got love it.[p]After 11 hours at 6:30 this morning
    40lbsofBostonButt004.jpg[p]More pictures later tonight when it is all said and eaten.[p]John

• JM3,[p]You mentioned you fire. I always have trouble getting it set and keeping it set. I have read a ton of posts on it (Elder Ward, etc) and none of them seem to help. Any suggestions, I have to do 20lbs Friday night for a party and would like to be awake Sat night to see people enjoy it...Thanks!