Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dare I ask?

Options
King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a half of a pork tenderloin I'm egging this weekend. Anybody got suggestions about brining it. I know for a fact that this cut is tender,, I egged the other half a while back and it was great. I got a link from Cat on brining and I'm going there tonight and do some reading, but I'd rather hear what the eggsperts have to say. My buddy Dr. Chicken probably won't be reading this until he gets back from saying good-by to his mom. Condolences my friend from Marilyn and I..

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S10_13_9920_00_00.jpg
    <p />King-O-Coals, these are the perfect every time category - we use a marinate of 1/3 Soy Sauce, 1/3 Olive Oil and 1/3 lemon Juice. Marinate from the morning until ready to go on the grill. Grill time is about 37 minutes at 350 degrees. [p]Grill time from Tim M - Marinate from Hog Wild.[p]We'll be doing 2 on Monday for a few friends dropping up from Mississippi.

[ul][li]Pork Tenderloin[/ul]
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    King-O-Coals,Half a pork tenderloin isn't much...do you mean a pork loin? I have a great recipe for tenderloin; bourbon and honey hickory smoked pork t-loin. Marinade loins overnight in lg ziplock containing one sliced onion, 1/2 c bourbon, 1 c. olive oil, 1/4 c shoyu, 3T honey, 8 torn up fresh sage leaves, 2T minced ginger root, 1T minced garlic, juice of 1 lemon, S&P. build up heavy smoke and cook at 350-375 about 20min. until barely pink inside. Serve with any chutney or tomatoe relish. Great sandwiches tomorrow.
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Frozen chosen, I thought the package said tenderloin,, but now that I think about it,, most tenderloins are fairly small and this thing looked like it was three feet long. I saved the smaller half. But I was wanting to know about brining. Ever done that with this cut of pork?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Frozen chosen,
    Sounds fairly excellent.
    What is Shoyu??[p]From the ideas I see you posting from time to time, yuz guys are eatin' just fine, and keeping plenty warm up there in the tundra!! Nice to have you 'round.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SpiceCooks
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Pork tenderloin is not the cut of meat to brine. It is already a tender and moist cut of meat. If you want to brine a piece of pork then try a pork loin. King-O-Coals recipe looks perfect for a tenderloin. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Smokin' Todd
    Options
    Frozen chosen,
    huh? ya'll eskimos haves a way to cook in the -89 weather.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Last night i cooked the bourbon pork tenderloin that Bryan posted under new recipes,it was great,i will be cooking this a lot.
    YB

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Now don't try and stop me! I have my mind made up! I'M BRINING THIS PIECE OF PORK. The 3 year old hens worked great. I now have a matching pair of wheel chocks for keeping my boat and truck from rolling on them steep boat-launches. I figure if this pork turns out even half as good, I will have a pork fire-log that burns with Biblical duration. Maybe longer.... So don't try to stop me. It goes into the brine at 2200 hrs. tonight and comes out at 0800 tomorrow morning. Then I will cover it in mustard and wait until after 1500 to bEGGin the ceremony. Cat sent me a link,,,, and,,,, well, I believe in the philosophy now........ kinda!

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    You my friend are a glutton for punishment! It's a good thing you don't have feathers like me, or Cat would have them nailed to the wall!
    Good luck on the brined loin! I hope for your sake Marilyn is not the "briner" of your loin![p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: If we hear a gutteral moan tomorrow afternoon from down by the Gulf, we'll know you didn't have any better luck this time!

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    King-O-Coals, I am one of the un-coverted; don't care for brine and have used it sparingly and only when confronting foods that are absolutely going to dry out. The BGE makes this a challenge; as food remains moist no matter how hard I try.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    I kin see anudder convert coming! I thought jist like youse guys! "Brineing is a pain in the butt, that makes up fer somethin somebody don't know how to do, to begin with!" Then my youngest daughter got me to try it! Believe me it didn't take twice to prove she was right! But, being the hardhead I am, I had to see if I was imagineing things or if I just hit it lucky! I tried it a second, third and forth time before my skepticisim was satisfied! I've been smokin turkeys, chickens and hams for years and people & family raved about them. This Christmas was the kicker! The whole family said they've never had turkey smoked as good & moist as it was this year. From now on no smoked turkey, chicken or ham without the brineing first! It makes that much difference if its done right! Just IMOP though![p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, okay,, it's 2200 hrs. down here,, my brine was prepared last night and is chilled in the fridge,, the pork is thawed and ready,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'M GOING IN!

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, Darn, my pinky keeps hitting the shift/control and posting a message; sorry. Anyway, I am swayed by your testimony and will try more brining in the future.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    Honestly, I thought it was a waste of time and effort and I couldn't have a better tasting turkey than what I was doing! Boy, was I wrong![p]Dr. Chicken