Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chickens and Plate Setter ?

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to do my first chickens later today. Am a bit confused about whether to use the plate setter or not. Am going to do 2 birds in vertical racks today.

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    City slicker,
    Yes,you would cook them indirect.Fire brick,plate setter, roasting pan, etc.

• RobMonctonNB
    Options
    Well, it depends on the temperature you're going to be running at. If you're going with a short & hot cook, I would use the platesetter so the skin doesn't get too dark. But, if you're doing the chicken at 300-325 over an extended time, I would do it direct. Just gotta do what works for you...even if you screw up a meal on the BGE...chances are that it will still taste good!!!

• darnoc,
    I have done verticle Chicken both with and without platesetter. If you use the platesetter place a disposable foil pan under the rack to catch juice droppings.

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    City slicker,
    been there.. done both ways...tried spatchcock and never went back!!! much better results and skin is always crispy!actually with the raised grid thaks to the wooring it actually cooks faster also! 390 dome and takes close to an hour and 10 minutes perfection everytime!!
    mike

• City Slicker
    Options
    City slicker,
    Thanks all, think I will go 350 till its done with the remote probe, and forgo tne plate setter for today. Was a concerned about buring the bottom of the chicken going direct, but it sounds like it should be ok.

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    City Slicker,
    one thing i forgot..lots of dizzy pig rub also make a perfect chicken!!
    mike

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    City slicker,
    I agree that spatched chicken is the way to go. Put em up high at between 300 and 350 until they are done.

chicken002.jpg[p]