Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing lump coal

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone found a good tool or method (other than waiting for them to cool down) for removing lump coal so that you can start with a fresh batch.

Comments

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    magic10527,
    Right hand in a rubber glove .....

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    DSC_0072.jpg
    <p />magic10527, lump bucket. still trying to find a way to make 'em economical. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    magic10527,
    I always just add new to whats already in there. Absolutely never felt the need to have to remove old/used lump. I have removed burning lump from eggs at the end of an eggfest before wearing a welding glove...you wanna work fast tho..LOL[p]Wess

• I just add new lump to the old lump - most of the time.[p]If I feel the need to remove the lump, I just lift out the stainless steel bowl that serves as my lump holder out of the firebox. Drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of the bowl for air intake. Works GREAT. Sort of surprised I don't hear of more people doing this.[p]Got the idea from eggor.[p]This one is in my small egg. Have a similar one in my large egg. I have enlarged the holes since the picture was taken.[p]LargewithSSfirebowl-4-2006.jpg[p]Spacey

• tjv,[p]I love the lump bucket - do you sell these yet?[p]Matic10527
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Magic10527, not yet, but trying to figure something out.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • magic10527,[p]Yes! This weekend I needed to remove my lump and looking around the only thing I could find that might do the job was a dustpan. Just one like you use in your kitchen. I have an X-Large BGE and a normal sized dustpan may not work very well on the smaller units. But for mine it made the job fast and easy.