Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ground coffee as a spice????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just saw a posting referencing using ground coffee as a spice...can someone tell me a little about this? first time I've heard of this. thanks

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    nodock,
    That might have been me. Qbabe uses this a lot on her pork. It gives it an earthy flavor and since I really like coffee, it kicks it up a notch for me. Try it with other bold ingrediants for a pleasant change in flavor. Let it co-exist with other flavors and not as the primary. Don't worry, it won't taste just like a cup of coffee. The fire changes it.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    I'm in full agreement. BTW in our home a favorite company desert is a dish of Baskin & Robbins Coffee ice cream covered with a small shot of creme de cocoa and 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground coffee. Talk about a "WOWSER" (but really simple) end to a great meal this is it, folks!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    RRP,
    I NEED to try that! Since I'm in the land of dark roast I'll bet that is the king of deserts!! Thanks for the tip!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    nodock, I can't help ya with a spice, but you did get me out of the chair to make a pot. Now I'll be up all night. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    nodock,
    Funny you should mention it. I just watched a taped Bobby Flay show where he cooked steak using a rub he made with coffee grounds as an ingredient. I also know it has been talked about on this Forum for a number of years. I keep saying I'm going to try it but haven't yet. Maybe soon.[p]Thanks for bringing it up again.[p]Spring "Coffee Drinker So Why Not Coffee Eater" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    nodock,[p]Nature Boy from Dizzy Pig knows about coffee as a spice in a rub. It's called Red Eye Express and it's wonderful! It happens to be one of my favorites. Heck, I think all the Dizzy Pig rubs are my favorites![p]
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express[/ul]
  • MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Ron I need correct email Thanks[p]MR H

• ronbeaux
    Options
    MR H,
    You just have to remove the space in the name. Then change the "at" to @, then the "dot" to a .