Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pans on the Egg

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was doing a little research on cast iron dutch ovens and stumbled on to this tip...
Helpful Hint: When cooking over a wood flame, using any kind of pot or pan, spread a coat of
dishwashing liquid over the bottom. This will make it easier to wash off the soot from the fire.[p]Has anyone ever heard,or better yet tried, this trick???
Sure sounds easy enough...[p]
Wess

Comments

• WessB,[p]This is an old "boy scout" trick. I've tried it, but don't think it really helped although I was using aluminum pans and not cast iron. (This might also be because modern liquid detergents are different from, say, a bar soap) On an open fire, where the odor of charing soup can dissipate it probably wouldn't hurt. But on a closed egg it might tend to "flavor" the food a bit.
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Kelly Royse-Keefe,
    Yes. I was thinking the same thing. Not sure if that would alter the flavor.
    I can see it now: I always soak my wood chips in dishwashing liquid! "Relax!!! It's Palmolive!" :-)

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    WessB,
    In regards to cast iron cookware, no soap should ever touch the metal. Ever. The only exception is the first cleaning on initial purchase and before seasoning. The fact that cast iron gets black is exactly what you want it to do. In fact, seasoning cast iron on the BGE is one of the best ways to do it. [p]If after using cast iron on your BGE and you need to wipe the soot off, simply use a paper towel with a little oil on it.[p]I have used the soap trick on normal stovetop cookware like Farberware If I use it on an outdoor propane burner, especially for corn in the summer and it works like a champ.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RhumAndJerk, regarding cast iron, solid info. The soap trick is a new one on C~W.. I have Farberware skillets and I am not too happy with em. Tempted to go solid copper.
    BTW..our girl Martha S had a great looking salmon rub/cook on her program today..Wiffy prodded me to go take a look. Salmon looked great..MS musta had a bad night...!!
    C~W[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    I have never liked the Farberware skillets (the stockpots are fine) or any along those lines. They just do not cook right. Furthermore, everything sticks to them. Even the ones with non-stick coatings never work as expected. To this end I have purchased four different sizes of cast iron skillets. Last week, I even purchased a two-burner cast iron griddle. I do have one exception and that is a small, specialized skillet that I use for crepes and nothing else. It is a matter shape and flavor only.[p]On a side note, the only maker of American Cast Iron is Lodge. While researching my griddle purchase, I was informed that the only other American foundry, Wagner, closed about a year ago.[p]As mentioned earlier, the soap trick is an old “Boy Scout Trick”. The key to it is to rub the outside of the pot with dish soap and dry the soap before it goes over the fire. It will turn black, but as soon as you put the pot in water to clean it, the black just wipes off. I use this trick on the pot that I use to deep fry turkeys.[p]Go Martha S,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    I have never liked the Farberware skillets (the stockpots are fine) or any along those lines. They just do not cook right. Furthermore, everything sticks to them. Even the ones with non-stick coatings never work as expected. To this end I have purchased four different sizes of cast iron skillets. Last week, I even purchased a two-burner cast iron griddle. I do have one exception and that is a small, specialized skillet that I use for crepes and nothing else. It is a matter shape and flavor only.[p]On a side note, the only maker of American Cast Iron is Lodge. While researching my griddle purchase, I was informed that the only other American foundry, Wagner, closed about a year ago.[p]As mentioned earlier, the soap trick is an old “Boy Scout Trick”. The key to it is to rub the outside of the pot with dish soap and dry the soap before it goes over the fire. It will turn black, but as soon as you put the pot in water to clean it, the black just wipes off. I use this trick on the pot that I use to deep fry turkeys.[p]Go Martha S,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Sorry, double post.
    hit the mouse too many times
    R&&J

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, that settles it, even with lifetime warranty, out they go. Mine were the Millenium series.
    Two replacements so far as per warranty..but that doesn't solve the equation..I have the same results here as you expressed. And I agree, nuttin is fina than cast.
    C~W
    But copper is so dang purty.

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, long live da mouse :-)

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Char-Woody,
    Long live the Cast! I have 3 skillets and a griddle.
    I am looking for a Cast grill for cooking steaks any info?

• Char-Woody
    Palisin, I happen to have a couple and I think there is one available. Mine are ribbed and I have yet to use em on steaks but would be ideal for smaller NY strips and filet mignon. Or smaller T.bone or P'chops..Just get em nice and hot to sear em.
    Good luck on locating em. I got mine at a garage sale.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Palisin, my apology..I mistook grill for griddle. Mine are oval cast iron with removable handles for over the fire type meat cooks..burgers, steaks, chops..etc.. Not a grill per se.
    C~W[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Palisin,
    The second to last item may be just what you are looking for.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Lodge Cast Iron[/ul]
  • Palisin
    Char-Woody,
    Love using the Cast iron on the BGE.I have been searching for a cast circular grill to place on the BGE. The best luck I have had is a replacement to the Lodge Outpost Grill #510 and the 13" diameter swing away cooking grate item # is R512 the cost is $36.00. Plus $8.00 for UPS. I am going by BBQ's Galore today. I was hoping someone knew where a hungry soul could pick one up cheap one. If not I will jump on the Lodge.

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, and I like that top one tooooooooo...da convertible top to a griddle.

• Palisin,[p] An uncle just ordered a cast iron griddle form Cabela's. It has a smoth side and a ribbed side and is a bargain at $17.99 it has been great so far for fishing trip breakfasts, but I don't know if it will fit on the egg.[p]http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998ASAdAF/XA906J[p]JET

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    cast_iron_grate.jpg
    <p />Char-Woody,[p]I also am a firm believer in cast iron cookware. This pic is a cast iron grill that I cut for my small. Last weekend, I made one for my Mini. I purchased a cast iron replacement grill for the Genesis and there is enough material to cut out two grills for the egg (not the large). I used a 4" grinder with a metal cutoff wheel. Being very careful, it took about 20 minutes to cut out each grill. (Warning here, I am used to working with metal. Someone unfamiliar might ask a metalsmith to cut the grill out. There is the risk of injury in this operation)[p]Carl T

• Char-Woody
    Carl T, excellent job Carl and good tip..if nothing else wear protective commercial eye guards. I am having some Stainless Steel grills made at the local shop. Not like cast iron, but close.
    Cheers and thanks..C~W[p]

• Palisin
    Carl T,
    That is exactly what Iam looking for. That is the some nice work! A friend of mine likes to hammer steel may talk to him about it.