Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Use of Firebricks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are proud owners of a brand new BGE and have already cooked with it a couple of times this week. We're very pleased with the egg and are anxious to try lots of the many recipes available on this site and elsewhere. I have noticed numerous references to firebricks and am wondering what the benefits and uses of them are. This topic has probably been covered already and I searched the Forum using the keyword of firebricks and got a number of hits; however, I wasn't able to read any of them. Something about not being available. Appreciate any words of wisdom about firebricks and, if I need them, where the might be purchased in the Washington, D.C. area. Thanks

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    bbac2.jpg
    <p />Jerry,[p]Check the link below for some pictures that might help. [p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/bbq-page3.htm[p]Firebricks act as a barrier from the fire and allow higher temp cooking without charing as badly. It also allows a brick oven style when doing pizza or breads. There are many way to use ceramics in the Egg and achieve great results.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's firebrick page[/ul]
  • Big Gr-Eg
    Big Gr-Eg Posts: 5
    Jerry,[p]I'll refer you to Gfw's site regarding FB usage. Basically they are used to create an indirect cooking environment; for long slow smokes. I too am a BGE newbie and have been using mine in nearly every cook so far. Make sure to get a couple more than you think you need as they make a great spot to put a hot grill, etc., when removing from the BGE.[p]Try your local home improvement store, builder's supply or BBQ store. Most places that carry bricks should have them. Make sure to get the split ones (see Gfw's site again).[p]If you feel like traversing my site you will see some pics of them in use and a (long/boring) diary of my first week with the BGE. [p]Have Fun!
    Greg (http://www.eigsti.com/greg/bge)

[ul][li]Gfw's Fire Brick Usage Page[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Big Gr-Eg,
    LOL..you know....reading the URL for your webpage @ a .09, it almost looks like eigstasi..oh well..guess you had to be there...headed for .10...LMAO[p]Wess

• Big Gr-Eg
    Tim M,[p]Why are you using two "upright" bricks on one side and only one on the other? More stability for whatever is resting upon 'em? More heat holding mass? Secret flavor enhancing qualities?[p][p]Greg
  • WessB
    Big Gr-Eg,
    its just a matter of filling up space..with the width of the bricks you can stand up 2 of them on one end and one on the other to fill up the lower grill..width wise[p]Hope this helps[p]Wess

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    WessB,[p]After less than one week of Egg ownership, you are already becoming a pro.[p]Nice work,
    Cornfed

• PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Jerry,[p]I purchased mine at Seasonal Distributors in Waldorf, probably where you purchased your egg. They are the DC area distributor. I have forgotten the price.
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    View?u=141579&a=9609961&p=47370802
    <p />Jerry,[p] Good advice so far. I live in NoVA and got mine at Potomac Brick in Springfield. They laughed when I told them I only needed six bricks and gave them to me for free! If you can't get the "splits," you can find someone with a masonry blade on their saw to cut them for you. I've shifted from using firebricks lately as I've got the plate setter and it is an outstanding tool for indirect cooking! I turn the plate setter upside down, put a drip pan inside and put another grid over the top. The picture is me using this setup for this year's Eggfest pork.[p]MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Big Gr-Eg,[p]Extra support and the fact I had the extra one.[p]Tim
  • WessB
    Cornfed,
    Well sir...I thank you so much for your kind words..these leftover ribs I`m having for lunch make me feel like a pro...deys good.....anyway..I feel its the least I can do to try to give back to the forum..as I have so graciously taken from the forum[p]Wess

• WessB
    Jerry,
    If you are familiar with Laurel,Md. theres a brick yard just south of Laurel on Muirkirk Rd. I paid like $.80 for mine there, if you need any more detailed info to the place feel free to ask[p]Wess

• Big Gr-Eg
    WessB,[p]Huh, what? .09, .10? Are you talking about blood alcohol level? :) [p]What is eigstasi?[p]Greg
  • WessB
    Big Gr-Eg,
    LOL..yes I was talkin about Blood alcohol..[p]and the other was a play on the word Ecstacy....
    Sorry[p]Wess

• Daryl
    Daryl Posts: 27
    Big Gr-Eg,[p]Thanks for the info, and for the link to Gfw's site. A picture paints a thousand words. I too had been trying to figure out what all the fuss was about fire bricks. I bought the plate setter with my large BGE. It looks like bricks plus second grate costs about the same. Is there any advantage to the bricks? It seem that the "extra" thermal mass, compared to the + - 140 lb. already in the 'egg, would be negligible.[p][p]