Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a newbie ash tool question!!

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I`m sure as most subjects this will draw a very diverse bunch of responses...First off I use the Lodge trivet...and in the FEW times I have had to stir the lump to knock down the ash from the trivet holes I have come to this conclusion..it seems to me that I get the best results by just digging into the lump with the ash tool..very much tossing like a salad,just toss and toss, it does seem to work very effectively...can you eggsperts pass along your prefered procedure for geting ash out of the lump and into the bottom of the Egg[p]Wess

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    WessB,
    I just move the charcoal round and the ashes fall through the diamond mesh I use.

• Unknown
    Options
    WessB, I too use a Lodge trivet and have learned that a gentle hand works best with side to side motions in the lump. That will keep your trivet from tilting causing a dump to the bottom necessiating a real clean out. Just my eggperience anyway!

• Unknown
    Options
    I meant using a tool in that hand - not bare handed - just be gentle like with your wifey - not brisk and rough!
  • WessB
    Options
    one feral kat,
    I to have "dumped" the trivet and all its lump..kinda why I started tossing the salad as it were....and as you said.."Gently"..[p]Thanks
    Wess

• WessB
    Options
    JJ,
    Thank you Sir...
    Hey....hows bout E mailin me one of dem Juleps..all I got to do was sip em Sat. would love to polish one or four off right about now...LOL[p]Wess

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    WessB, for me, I've found that using my hand to move, lift and slide the coals around is the easiest way for me. I wear a "heavy duty" type of playtex glove (from wal-mart) that is the largest size they have so your hand will slide in and out easily. I have a home made steel grate and this works very well and i don't have to worry about tipping the grate over. Just my $.02,
    ChefRD

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    WessB,
    I think JJ just hit the nail on the head. He mentioned wire mesh at the bottom of his Egg. If you use the tippy trivet from Lodge, maybe some stout wide mesh underneath that one can form to the sides of the firebox would be a good combo. I think I'll try it and see if can stir my ashes with alacrity!!---without dropping the whole mess in the bottom. Cheerio! hehehe.
    Adios