Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stress?? What Stress -how it went

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stressbuilds.gif
<p />Sat morning with the egg down with blown gasket[p]

ashtoolsaveslidsfromsticking.gif

[p]Dinner is at 6:30 Sat night. Went and got some 3/16x1/2 felt gasket from Home Hardware and some Elmer ProBond glue. Did a quick clean and scrape with Goof Off. Air temp was 30 degrees. Got the mini gaskets on and lit the egg to 300 degrees. This was 11:00 AM, let it burn for 7 hours at that temp.

gettingready.gif

Getting the steaks and Salmon ready, Salmon went in the oven

seethestressonmyface.gif
notice the stress on my face

minigasketsholdingup.gif

Mini Gasket is holding up, so far so good. Kept the dome temp down to 550 degrees (wimp)

Ismelllikesmoke.gif

not just a grill, but a Smoker too !

550 degree did not get a good sear, but the steaks were melt in your mouth juicy and tender. Everyone loved them. And the quick fix gasket did not fall into the food in front of everyone !

550degreepoorsear.gif[p]

Was a great first week with the egg ! Fantastic help on this forum. Thanks all for your advice.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    City Slicker,[p] Whactha put all that yeller stuff on dem steaks fur??[p]
  • City Slicker
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    You know, I have no idea ! Saw that on the forum somewhere, up till then had never heard of such a thing. Freaked my brothers out though lol.

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    Celtic Wolf, he was at Home Depot could not find anyone to help him except for the Yella wood man. LOL

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    City Slicker,[p] If the steaks are juicy enough they will hold the rub. In my personal opinion putting mustard on a good steak is real darn close to putting Ketchup on Filet Mignon. [p] Some people rub Pork Butts, Ribs and Briskets to hold the rubs, but it's not really necessary either.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Steeler Fan,[p] Ohh yeah, I missed that and the Salmon went in the *OVEN* remark (GASP!!! THUD!!!)[p]
  • City Slicker
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    and it was Home Hardware, big box Home Depot didn't even have any felt. So.......how do you do salmon at the same time as steak, and don't tell me to buy another egg, well at least not yet.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I totally agree, don't use the yellow mustard on steaks and rubbing it on pork is not necessary either. I rubbed it on spare ribs once and it didn't improve the ribs one bit, in fact it cause my daughters who like everything plain a reason to find something wrong with the ribs :) I'll never waste my time again rubbing yellow mustard on anything. In fact I can't think of a reason to ever use yellow mustard. It is near the bottom, if not last on my list of my least favotite condiments. *Note* I don't eat hot dogs.

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    City Slicker, depending on how you want to do the salmon. If you just want to grill it, take the steaks off, wrap in foil and let rest. Grill the salmon. The reverse is also possible if you want to slow cook (smoke the salmon), let it warm in the oven or place in a cooler. In case you have not seen previous posts. Place hot water in cooler for 5-10 minutes before you are ready to take off your food. Then place a towel on the botton, place wrapped food (foil is always good), place another towel on top of it, close cooler can keep food warm for a while. Large roasts up to 4 hours. Side comment on the mustard, if you want to have a crust on your steak try some DP rubs on it. Check their website for details. Good luck and anytime you have questions just ask. Guys like Celtic Wolf et al have a myriad of experience to get you through any crisis.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Steeler Fan,[p] I have a myriad of something... My wife says it's too much food in the freezer.[p] @ City Clicker... Salmon doesn't take anywhere near as long as steak to cook. Nothing wrong with Letting the steaks rest while the Salmon cooks. Plank the fish..
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Had the same thought about the yellow "hot dog" type mustard. That said, I must confess that I used some Kozlik's Canadiian Grainy Creole mustard along with some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on some "del moneco" (boneless prime rib) steaks and the results were outstanding. I pretty much like my steaks with just some salt/pepper or maybe sometimes my butcher's own steak spice but read about the mustard on the forum and thought I would give it a shot.[p]I will use the mustard again but definitely not thr bright yellow stuff...would not want to risk it on $13 per lb steaks