Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another morning butt, question?

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am also near the end of my butt-cook. I put a 7 pounder on last night. Went I went to sleep the egg dome temp was stable at 260*. I took a shot of Niquil to knock myself out, that stuff is like a narcotic :). Anyways, when I woke up this morning my Maverick remote said that the meat probe temp was 159*, the butt had been cooking for 11 1/2 hours. I expected it to be higher. I ran out to the egg and the dome temp was 230* (not bad). I opened the bottom vent a sliver to get it back to 260*, and went back to bed. An hour and 15 min. later, the dome was at 300* and the meat probe read 175*. I closed the bottom vent about another 1/1000 of an inch and now the dome temp is dropping back down :).
I'm now going on 15 hours 10:00 AM central and the meat-probe temp is 185*.
Only 15 degrees to go. We plan on eating around 1:00 this afternoon.
Should I pull as soon as I take it off the egg at 200* or should I wrap in foil and pull right before eating?
Thanks!

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Wrap it. I've held them as long as 5 hours some others have held them longer. After 5 hours the meat was still very hot and steaming.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    drop down to 200-225 dome. that'll drag it out a bit too.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Pull it at 195 and let rest wrapped in foil and a clean towel. I will rise above 200 before it starts to fall.[p]Unless you have some good heat resistant gloves it will be too hot to pull immediately anyway,
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    stike,
    I'm going with the "drag-it-out" suggestion, lowering the dome temp to 225*.
    Just checked the meat probe temp and it droped from 185* to 183*. now I'm worried that the butt might not hit 200* for one o'clock. Is it normal for the internal meat temp to drop? I'm going to kick the dome temp back up and see what happens.
    The good news is I'm very flexable as to what time we eat. I am however starving and can't wait. :)[p]