Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife is putting me to shame

Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First she makes a killer turkey breast, beat mine like a red headed stepchild.[p]Then by *MISTAKE*!! she does a great set of ribs using the NB's Ginger Mahogany Ribs crossed with JJ’s direct cooking method. As some might remember I tried this a couple of weeks ago and got shoe leather for the most part.[p]Well last night when I come home my wife is trying to do NB's Ginger Mahogany Ribs like we’ve done in the past, indirect. She asks me to take a peek to see if they are about done. She also says the’ve been on for about two hours. I tell it’ll be about another hour or so before they are done, but go to take look anyway. They look almost perfect!? Then I notice she is using only two firebricks, one on either side of the v-rack, thus a raised direct cook. Slather on a first then a second coating of sauce and 15 minutes later, we had the best ribs yet off our Egg.[p]I knew even after my shoe leather ribs last time that the combo NB’s G/M ribs and JJ’s direct method was a winner and planned to use it again on MY next rib cook. Well the wife beat me to it and proved ME right --and HER a better cook.[p]Guess it is time to pass the lump over to the real expert in the family and hope she’ll be kind enough to let me look over her shoulder once in a while.[p]
~!@#,
Jethro

Comments

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Jethro,
    This may be a blessing. Just don't forget to remind her, that to appreciate the highs, she must experience the lows, or at least, the realities of the total Eggsperience: Introduce her to the mystical clean-up process...of soaking the grids and scrubbing, brightening up those non-throwaway drip pans, and of course, dismantling the Egg from time to time and sucking out the ash in preparation for her next Boston Butt low 'n slow, when she'll need to load the lump to the gills, set her alarm for 3:00 a.m. to check her temps, and still have both a South Carolina sauce plus a Piedmont sauce ready to go. Hopefully, she's handy with a hatchet, as well, to help split those bigger pieces of smoking wood your neighbor who took down his tree, gave you.
    It's more than just the cook, eh?

• Jethro
    Big Murth,[p]Yeah, I imagine she'll still let me clean the grill and such. But, then again if I keep gettin Egged food and more time to take care of some hop pops and pitch to my son it can't be total loss.[p]I'll just have to make sure that once any company gets to the house she'll let me finish up and pretend I did it LOL.[p]Jethro
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Jethro,[p]Heres an idea....[p]Have her get her own egg.[p]Troy
  • Jethro
    sprinter,[p]If it means more Egged food I'll go that suggestion.[p]You produced any good brews lately?[p]Jethro
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jethro,
    Great story. Glad the ribs were good. Just think, more time to watch baseball when she is cooking![p]I will try my recipe direct next time! Thanks for the report.[p]Packin' my stuff right now. Doing JJ's parmesian cornish hens, grilled veggies, pulled pork and TT's beans on this weekend's camping trip. Oh yeah, and MikeO's grilled pineapple, and burgers and dogs, and sausages, and chicken breasts and potato slices. Mr. Big and Junior are comin' along for the ride into da hills. The kids are pumped.[p]Latah!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    Jethro,[p]Made a batch of raspberry wheat that just didnt taste that good. Not sure if it was bad flavoring or if the grain I used was a bit old. Anyway, 5 gallons of that stuff hit the drain about a month ago. Really, just not drinkable. Other than that, nothing. I've not had the time. 2 kids, work, now springtime and the yard and garden, trying to find a few hours to brew a batch just hasnt been in the cards. I did clean all of my kegs and replace all of the seals about a month ago. I have good intentions, my follow through lately has not been the greatest. Anything brewed on your end lately?[p]Troy
  • Jethro
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds like a lot 'o' good eats. Let me know how things come out specially those pineapples. I've been wanted to try them, but the place that use to core fresh pineapples doesn't do it anymore. So I need to either get more ambitious or go with canned.[p]Jethro
  • Nature Boy
    Jethro,
    We have done the pineapple recipe numerous times. It has become the kid's favorite. They only take about 5 minutes to cut up. Just remove the skin with a knife, slice, then cut the core out of each slice with a paring knife. Easy as pie.....napple!![p]I doubt the canned pineapple would grill up very well without falling apart,
    That recipe is a winner.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Jethro
    sprinter,[p]No I've never tried home brewing. I do love fresh micro brewed beers though and saw on your profile that you dabbled in the home brewing scene.[p]If you ever think you've hit the magic formula and want some independent sampling done before going to market. Just send some up to Evanston and I'll eagerly give it a try.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• sprinter
    Jethro,[p]I've been promising Nature Boy a few bottles of a red ale that I make thats pretty good. (how long NB, about a year now?) When, and thats WHEN, I get back into brewing I'll be sure and forward a few bottles around. I do love to do it and really miss it, kinda like cooking in a way, all the potential tinkering and modifying the recipes etc. I love to get lost in the process of the whole thing, fascinating. Then, the best part, you get to drink the results. Nothing better than ribs or a burger and a cold beer, thats tough to beat.[p]Troy
  • Jethro
    sprinter,[p]You got my mouth waterin'!!![p]Jethro

• Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    A little over a year maybe, Troy. i still have my mouth watering for it. totally understand you not having time to brew though. Life ain't simple. [p]Speaking of cold ones, and Qing, what does it look like for Atlanta for you? If not, maybe DC next year.[p]Beers atcha.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com