Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on low temp

Buckethead
Buckethead Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started a slow cook and had to leave for about three hrs. Upon my return the dome temp had dropped to 150 and the butt was at 120. (This is now about six hours into a double butt cook.) My qusetion is this. Is the meat going to be OK or will I kill my friends?
Thanks Need some advise, quick.

Comments

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Buckethead,
    It may turn out to be a longer cook than you anticipated; however it is recoverable. Get your temp to 225 and stabilize it. The meat willl be ok, and cook it to 200 internal temp. Keep the faith in yourself and the BGE-all will come out ok!
    Hammer

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Buckethead,
    What was the temp before you left the house?If it was around 225 or higher you should be ok.Get your temp back up I would guess around 250 and keep check on internal temp of meat.Might add a couple hours to the cook,but your temp probe will tell the tell you what is going on.

• Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    darnoc,
    oh yea, the temp was at 260 and steady when I left. We had some wind and that may have played some tricks on the fire. Thanks. It is now @ 260 dome and 162 internal and seems to be at the plateau of the cook.
    Thank you

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Buckethead,
    Glad to see the cook is ok.Dont forget the buns and cole slaw for a sammich.