Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Small BGE is on its way!

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Egg-heads,
I have convinced my wife it is time to add the small EGG to my Lonely Large Egg "Oscar".I am so EGG-cited... my local dealer didn't have one in stock otherwise you would be seeing smoke in the air. Quick question.... should I do several slow cooks on it first so I don't burn the gasket? Also, I ordered the nest and plate setter... to my knowledge they don't make a cast iron grate. If any one has some idea's about that I would appreciate it.. I would like to get some great grill marks on my T-rex steak. [p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
p.S. I have figured out why people are multiple egg owners... if you don't understand you will someday :=)

Comments

• Eggin-smurff
    Options
    Pharmeggist, [p]Congratulations on the new addition. I too have a large and picked up a small at the Eggtoberfest last fall. They are a great combination. I use the large for large cooks and low and slows. The small is perfect for the quick pair of steaks and smaller cooks.[p]But you must have been reading my mind. I was sitting here wondering if there is a cast iron grate for the small as well since thats where I do my TRex-ing. Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer.[p]Happy cooking!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I cut this cast iron grate for my small
    IMG_00851.jpg

out of this rectangular piece.
    IMG_00591.jpg

Actually that is the easy part - now finding the rectangle is more catch as catch can this time of year.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    RRP,
    That is really cool! Did you get a welder to do the cuts with a torch??? Where did you get the rectangle grate from??? If you can't say or remember thats ok.
    I could change my mind and opt for a medium egg I guess but that may get me put into the dog house... since I have been talking about getting a small so long now.. only married people would understand what I am talking about.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    no - cast iron is actually a rather soft metal and I cut that using a metal blade in my saber saw. Took two blades and about 1 hour time, but well worth it - I've never gone back to the original BGE grate - I love this. As for where I bought it the place was in FL but no longer carries them. I've been trying to locate one for Jason Upton. I do believe AZRP posted that he found one so maybe he'll chime in here. Good luck - you'll love that small with or without cast iron!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pharmeggist,
    I found a rectangle cast iron grate at Home Depot.

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    Bill from ct.,
    Thanks for the lead.... did you have problems cutting it down to size? [p]

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    RRP,
    I absolutely love the marks the cast puts on the steaks, I bought mine at either Lowes or Home depot, can't remember which. I cut mine out with a cut off wheel in an angle grinder, took about 10 minutes. -RP

• Pharmeggist,
    I had a grinding wheel. It only took 5 min. to grind about 1/4" off each corner to fit the large. [p]