Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moose Tongue

Options
Pork Puller
Pork Puller Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our church recieves quite a few "road kill" moose each year.They are to be given to families in need of a little help. My pastor always takes the heart and tongue because "nobody wants them".He has several in his freezer and has expressed an interest in trying tongue. I would like to egg him one but I don't have a clue on the process. Any help will be greatly appreciated.I'm also going to try making some moose jerky.
Thanks
Keith

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Pork Puller,[p]I'm actually going to the market right now because they are supposed to have bison tongue on sale today.....[p]Here is a link to my how-to on tongue.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Lick Here[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Pork Puller,
    Road kill moose tounge; Yum! While this is laughable to many, Alaska has similar programs where low income folks can apply, then are notified by the troopers when a moose gets hit. Of course, the carcass is often in bad shape and has not had any attention regarding care of the meat/proper cooling, gutting, etc. While I always retrieve the tounge and eventually consume it (sport hunts), I can't say its anything to crave. I usually boil and slice it for sandwiches, so you could experiment with differnt boils (cajun?), Cooking on the grill would require larding or wrapping in bacon, I'd guess. I never tried making jerky out of the tounge, but it should work.

• Pork Puller
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I thought this was a 'thirdeye' question, thanks for responding.Your recipe sounds quite good. Sorry for not search
    ing your site first.Re: the moose jerky,my plan is to get several of the cheap pizza screens and cobble together several layers of meat. How much space is needed between each layer for proper drying? I'll probably try the Hi Mtn. brand of jerky cure you like.If so, I should also get some of the Buckboard Bacon cure as well.Does that make a 'sweet' or salty bacon? Alot of forum members seem to like alot of sweet in their sauces and rubs but I don't. I prefer a slight salty taste.
    Thanks
    Keith

• Pork Puller
    Options
    Hi there Frozen
    I'm your neighbor, about an hour north in Big Lake.I see you post on here from time to time. Maybe we can get together for a 'surf n turf' sometime.In my post about the jerky, I didn't intend to use the tongue for jerky, although it would make for some real chewy stuff i'll bet.I meant to use moose meat for that.
    Keith

• Pork Puller,
    Wow! Didn't know that. It may be a while before Alaska has its own BGE convention, I guess. A little windy this weekend for any outdoors stuff. - pretty raw outside right now, huh? Stay in touch....

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Pork Puller,[p]Shucks, they were sold out of tongue. Plan B is some burnt ends with a pre-cooked vacuum sealed point I was saving.[p]Some of the stackable jerky trays are close together but I like at least an inch or two of space. The Buckboard cure makes a product similar to Canadian bacon or ham. It does NOT turn a pork butt into anything like belly bacon. There is a page on my site with loads of pictures including some of frying and grilling it. The saltiness can be adjusted two ways: First by curing one day shorter or going longer. (when home curing, you never want to get too far away from the minimum cure times) and second by doing a shorter or longer rinse out after curing. I typically recommend curing a full size butt. Once it is ready you can slice it in half and have two pieces to experiment with. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pork Puller,[p]I've done bison and beef tongue. My results have been mixed, from tolerable to excellent. With bison and beef, it appears that the tongue has a lot of fine cartiledge. The first problem is getting off the outer coating. I usually boil for about 10 - 15 minutes. Depending on the tongue, I've then been able to peel the outside off with my fingers, or cut it off with a paring knife. Its a little difficult to cook them long enough to disintegrate the cartiledge, and not burn them. After my last attempt a few months ago, it occured to me that a 3-1-1 cook might work really well with tongue. Assuming moose is similar, you will probably get at least a very smokey and tastey results, as the tongue itself is quite rich, and absorbs flavors better than most other meats.[p]gdenby
  • Pork Puller
    Options
    Frozen,
    I just realized today is the start of the Iditarod Dog Race.Did you catch any of it on t.v.? We usually go out on Sunday and watch the re-start. It's in Willow again this year.It's always fun to go out and watch all the teams go by.Those dogs sure love to run! All those animal rights activist that say the Iditarod race is animal abuse are nuts!Those dogs would rather run than eat when they're hungry.
    I'll look ya up sometime when i'm in Anchorage.
    Keith

• Pork Puller
    Options
    gdenby,
    do ya think the cartiledge would break down if it were cooked lo n slo like a butt does during the plateau thing? If not, the foiling might work well.
    thanks
    Keith