Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza cheese question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just gotten in the habit of using Kraft's 4 type Pizza Cheese and while we have grown complacent with it I wonder if we're missing something. Any recommendations out there? Any brand names?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    one feral kat,
    I typically just use some mozerella and parmesian...this would a good ? for Spin...lets see what the others say.[p]Wess

• fontzmark
    fontzmark Posts: 28
    WessB,The best cheese for pizza is without question FRESH mozzarella. It is sold in larger groceries and comes packed in water, I HIGHLY recomend trying this, it is rather bland tasting if eaten in salads, etc. but when this stuff melts something wonderful happens it truly is a slice of heaven, it is absolutely awesome and this is one of the reasons I am about to purchase an egg, to make pizzas that are more similiar to the ones made in Italy in the brick ovens, there in some places the ovens are sooo hot they can cook a pie in just three minutes but that is why it is so good, the crust in crucnhy on the out side and soft in the middle due to the brick oven effect. One of the best and simplest pizzas in the world is and I am sure this is mispelled: Pizza Margherita. Make fresh pizza dough and top with a simple tomato sauce, in the summer I use fresh italian style tomatoes and roast them in the oven with some garlic and olive oil, salt and pepper, then just coarsley chop them up and spread on a pie crust, top with fresh basil, more olive oil and fresh cheese and you will have just an unbelievable pie, please folks try this it is wonderful, like I said I am practicially buying an egg to make pizzas!!!! and ribs of course, anybody have any plans for rib racks? I would like to be able to get about 10 sides on at once. Thanks and I hope to contribute more to this forum and thanks to all who responded to my very first post!
    p.s. real Parmesan is also a good thing, nothing like that stuff in the green can, whick I admit I like it too but if you have the chance to get the real deal do it.

• fontzmark
    fontzmark Posts: 28
    one feral kat,
    Fresh mozzarella and real Parmesan would be my two favorites, others that would be good would be smoked gouda, it does not melt well so you would want to mix it with something else to make a "blend". Monterey Jack, Provolone are good choice because they melt very good. Gruyere would be nice, so would some nice blue cheese, had some good luck once doing a "chicken wing pizza with blue cheese". [p]

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    one feral kat,
    I also vote for FRESH mozzarella. You'll notice the difference; Kraft (or other brands of the packaged kind) has a rubbery texture and "strings" when melted. Fresh mozzarella melts like a dream and doesn't fight you. In addition to freshly grated Parmesan, try some Romano, or Asiago. These are hard cheeses that are very tasty when sprinkled on near the end of the bake.[p]Try some chopped fresh basil leaves, too. Great stuff.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• RobLobster
    RobLobster Posts: 8
    fontzmark,
    You have temptted my taste buds with this one. Great post and welcome the the egg forum. Don't forget to try grillin and smoking on the BGE, it is out of this world, for those two reasons alone.
    RobLobster

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    fontzmark, that was beautiful.. I am gonna add this one to my archives as well..printing it as soon as I quit typing. I have been searching for something that was as close to original Italian as possible..I think this one did it..
    Slide over Spin...we have company here...:-)...Kidding of course..Spin is our Pizza Doctor. He will love this one also.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    one feral kat:[p]In addition to the cheese mix suggested by Spin, I add a little Greek feta cheese. Plain or herbed it adds an interesting dimension to pizza.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Char-Woody,[p]There is plenty of room for more pizza makers my friend :-). Here is a link to a recipe on a homemade pizza website for the cook. It is good stuff![p]Spin

[ul][li]Pizza Margherita[/ul]
  • Spin
    one feral kat,[p]Lots of great advice here already. Fresh is so much better than not and is well worth the extra effort. A reasonable compromise is to buy the packaged lumps of the four cheeses and grate them yourself. Use the whole milk mozzarella as the part skim milk type doesn't melt or brown as nicely and lacks substance and taste on the pie. The softer cheeses grate easier when they are cold.[p]You can even make a "white" pizza - one with no tomato. Prepare your dough for the toppings, brush with a good olive oil, add a few shallow dollops of ricotta cheese (and/or cream cheese) here and there, and sprinkle with veggies of your choice(I like broccoli and a variety of mushrooms), slivers of garlic, and dust with parmesan cheese. [p]Spin
  • Spin
    fontzmark,[p]Welcome to the forum.[p]You are in for a real treat. The Egg makes a seriously great hearth baked pizza and can easily cook one in 3 minutes if you wish.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Spin, it never ceases to surprise me how this "Green Garden" keep sprouting all these great ideas in cooking.
    Yompin Yimminy...If it wasn't raining so hard outside I would go make a pizza..but I have chicken quarters and breasts on, just about done. Made 5 raw pounds of meat into jerky this afternoon..Thats the first thing the wiffy asked for when she got home..Life is a roundup!
    C~W[p]