Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Sourdough bread baking

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,412
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGESourdough2001.jpg
<p />My first 3 boules of sourdough have been exciting. I'm very happy with how the bread is overall but I need improvement in several areas.

BGESourdough2005.jpg

I need a better setup, think I'll buy a pizza stone to replace the fire bricks. Parchment paper works very well and it makes it easy to pull the bread onto the stone without a peel.

BGESourdough2007.jpg

The crust is looking good but not dark enough. Sourdough has a distinct crust unlike yeasted breads and this tastes soooooo goooood. Sweet and nutty.[p]
I found that next time I need to bump up my dome temp to 475-500. The 400-425 temp I used is not hot enough to create the browning I'm looking for. I'm looking for a darker, deeper crust.

BGESourdough2010.jpg

The crumb is looking good,- I wanted bubbles. Taste was mild tang, moist and chewy, classic sourdough flavor. I guess I'm on my way. They say that natural leavening will get better with repeated cycles of bread making. I have a 'storage leaven' for long term storage in the frig, an 'any day leaven' in another jar in the frig and dried leaven in food saver bag as backup.[p]One other thing, I goofed the fermentation and proofing steps, that's probably why the boules didn't form as well as I wanted. Slight hot spots in the egg also contribute to uneven spring and expansion although I rotated the bread during baking.

BGESourdough2008.jpg

I sliced the bread warm, (not recommended) he he, because I could not wait for it to cool. Then I slowly ate a slice, then another, then another. I was in bread heaven.
Clay[p]

Comments