Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Sourdough bread baking

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,412
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGESourdough2001.jpg
<p />My first 3 boules of sourdough have been exciting. I'm very happy with how the bread is overall but I need improvement in several areas.

BGESourdough2005.jpg

I need a better setup, think I'll buy a pizza stone to replace the fire bricks. Parchment paper works very well and it makes it easy to pull the bread onto the stone without a peel.

BGESourdough2007.jpg

The crust is looking good but not dark enough. Sourdough has a distinct crust unlike yeasted breads and this tastes soooooo goooood. Sweet and nutty.[p]
I found that next time I need to bump up my dome temp to 475-500. The 400-425 temp I used is not hot enough to create the browning I'm looking for. I'm looking for a darker, deeper crust.

BGESourdough2010.jpg

The crumb is looking good,- I wanted bubbles. Taste was mild tang, moist and chewy, classic sourdough flavor. I guess I'm on my way. They say that natural leavening will get better with repeated cycles of bread making. I have a 'storage leaven' for long term storage in the frig, an 'any day leaven' in another jar in the frig and dried leaven in food saver bag as backup.[p]One other thing, I goofed the fermentation and proofing steps, that's probably why the boules didn't form as well as I wanted. Slight hot spots in the egg also contribute to uneven spring and expansion although I rotated the bread during baking.

BGESourdough2008.jpg

I sliced the bread warm, (not recommended) he he, because I could not wait for it to cool. Then I slowly ate a slice, then another, then another. I was in bread heaven.
Clay[p]

Comments