Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elementary Fire starting question

Options
Lizard Dragger
Lizard Dragger Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Doing chicken thighs tonite, direct raised grid, 2 hours @ 250-275 per woodoggies method.[p] If I fill the Firebox with lump and start in 3 places with weedburner torch how long should I wait with lid open before putting chicken on??[p] Should I close lid and bring to temp?? [p] How much lump do I want burning before I start to cook.[p] The reason I ask is, I read alot of posts that say to light lump and wait until white smoke goes away before cooking. Is the white smoke going to go away if I light the lump and bring to low temp of 250 degrees with lid closed?. I know it would go away with lid open for 20 minutes and burning hotter. I am confused.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,[p] Close the lid.. Wait for the smoke to clear. Start shutting down the vents as the egg gets close to your desired temp.[p] Yes the smoke will clear.. besides leaving the lid open leads to toasted gaskets...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,
    you just need the lump to cover the holes in the fire box a little, you dont need or want a full box. light dead center and bring it up to temp with the dome closed and watch the smoke until it clears. then your good to go. i raise the grill higher than what is typically a raised grill setup for these and then cook till the skin starts to get crunchy, not so much by internal temps with thighs as they can get up to 190-200 and still be moist. with a weed burner, just wave it around when lighting the egg, there is no 1, 2, 3 places to light the lump. that same amt of lump and raised grill setup will cook ribs for 6 hours so not a whole amt of lump is needed

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it