Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spacers between Pizza Stone???

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Egg-heads,
I am always looking to improve my Pizza Cooking technique. A couple of days ago I read a post about using the plate setter legs down with spacers between it and the pizza stone. I also read to about using the plate setter with the legs up with the grate on top with the pizza stone placed on the grate. I was wondering how many people do it one set up versus the other. I normally just put the plate setter legs down with the stone on top with no spacers Pre-heat egg dome temp 450. However... I have accidently burned some crusts on subsequent cooks.
I would like to hear your personal favorite methods for cooking Pizza... post me a follow-up I am up for some good reading.[p]Thanks in advance, Pharmeggist

Comments

• Pharmeggist,
    i used the green egg ceramic feet they work great

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    This is the method I prefer, as well.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]I cook pizza all the time..I use platesetter legs down..[p]then I use 4 1/2" brass pipe elbows. Then I put the stone on top of that...works great..a little air space between the stone and platesetter.
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    <p />Fire in the Hole,
    I don't understand the need for spacers. If the entire mass of the egg is 650* as well as all ceramic internal fixtures such as the placesetter and pizza stone, then what use is the "air space" for? At a stabilized 650* you should be able to produce a 14" pizza (with raw dough) every 10 minutes. [p]My pic shows firebrick (placesetter) with the pizza stone directly on top. The shear ceramic mass is what cooks the pizza so fast IMHO.[p]Is the air space needed to keep the stone slightly cooler?[p]DJ

• Herfnwolf, Looks like you have a screen underneath. Great idea. I use spacers because IMHO the platesetter is hotter because of direct heat underneath. I have wonderful results cooking at 450° using frozen pizza, following instructions on the box. In the near future I want to try a fresh dough ball and putting the skin on a screen then on the stone. I use a heavy guage piece of copper wire as a poker. Pop bubbles in skin as it cooks. Love pizza, but can't have much, but get just about as much of a kick out of it watching others snarfing 'em down!! ern

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]The setup I like is an inverted platesetter, grid, grid extender then pizza stone. I like how the top browns when you get it higher in the dome. I had too much trouble getting the other setups to work for me. For example, burnt crust before the cheese bubbled/browned and the toppings were ready. [p]BP
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    icemncmth,
    same here 'cept I use 4 3/4" copper ells

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    wentz,
    I like the idea of using the feet.... I will Give it a try! Thanks to everyone for their posts :=)