Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show me your briskets!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DCP_2128.jpg
<p />Greetings all![p]It's no secret that I come here for the pics. I'm starting to think there must be some kind of rebate offer where when you purchase an egg, you get a coupon for a photography class. But I digress . . .[p]I'm looking to see some really awesome brisket pics. I've seen them here before, but you all are so enthusiastic with your postings here, even the recent archives are massive![p]Unfortunately I only have one brisket pic and it's not really the quality of the stuff I see here, but I'll post it anyway.[p]Thnx![p]Rod

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    CABBrisketcook2.jpg
    <p />Rodney,
    Here is one that is not sliced yet. It was really good. Tom

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rodney,
    this was our winning brisket at the chesapeake jubilee last year. ...startated out as a monster 17 pound packer. .. . [p]DSCF0022.jpg[p]and in the box with some great point. . .. [p]DSCF0025.jpg[p]and me and the spawn with our trophy :)[p]DSCF0034.jpg[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    5a1453bd.jpg
    <p />Rodney,
    this was from last fathers day

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] You did a flat in the competition?? Or am I missing something..[p].o0(there are those pajamas again)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    no, did the whole packer. .. but in that pic, the point has been separated from the flat for final prepping. .. you can see in the box that there are slices of flat and nice big chunks of point (best point i've ever done) ....[p]and yes, those are my lucky PANTS!!!!

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Rodney,
    Your's looks great. I never thought about cutting it like that.[p]Here's one I did a couple of years ago and it turned out fantastic.[p]Brisket3-1-04.jpg[p]Spring "A Brisket, A Brasket, A Big Green Egg Basket" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Rodney,[p]Pre-Egg: First Competition Brisket Turn-in. Learned a bunch since then[p]brisket.jpg
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    brisketpoint.jpg
    <p />Rodney,
    These were some tasty morsels.
    Cheers and good luck with your picture hunt.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Phillybrisket.jpg
    <p />Thnx to everyone who's posted. I forgot one other brisket pic I had. Nature Boy might be experiencing Deja Vu because it's from when we cooked together several years back!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Rodney,
    I'm definitely not a brisket pro, so I don't even have a pic. What I find interesting is the differences in brisket cooks from different areas of the country. Not all, but most of the pics that I see on the Forum are what seem to be only the flat, and often they appear trimmed. In Texas, you (at least me) rarely see anything but big, juicy, fat covered whole packer briskets or even giant shoulder clod. At least that's what I've experienced in most of the really authentic BBQ joints that I've frequented. [p]My question....., is the accepted norm for brisket cuts and preferences a regional thing from different areas of the country? Do competition rules influence cut selection? I know that not up to speed on brisket, but has anyone else noticed this difference? Just wondering on this windy Thursday morning. Very nice pics below, BTW.[p]Mike

• Mike,[p]My philosophy is good food is good food. I am privileged to know some of the best brisket cooks in the country. These folks all have their opinions on what is best when turning in brisket. Some cooks use flats, others whole briskets. Some of the ones that cook whole briskets separate the point from the flat, but cook both pieces. Some turn in just slices, others turn in cubes, chunks, chopped . . .you name it. Sometimes the slices are just from the flat, while other times they simply slice the whole brisket, leave the point and flat together with that fat seam in tact. I've seen it all. It all goes back to one point for me, if you turn in really good food, in the long run the judges will recognize you for that and reward you accordingly.[p]Rod

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    PracticeCook.jpg
    <p />Hey Rodney,[p]Here are a few before I head out of town. I love that classic shot of your burnt ends.
    See y'all on Sunday.[p]john[p]JanuaryBrisket.jpg[p]
    StuffedBrisket.jpg[p]
    ThePoint.jpg[p]Headroom.jpg[p]SlicedBrisket2002.jpg[p]6eb4fbbb.jpg[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    now, THOSE are the ones i've been waiting for. ..[p]hey, at some point, you should re-post that post showing your butcher taking apart that whole shoulder....it was a great post :)[p]

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p] When I started competing last year I asked that question. I was told that I needed to turn in at least 6 slices of brisket that were no bigger then a No. 2 Pencil. That simply meant that I HAD to slice the flat to get 6 even pieces.[p] Later in the year I started hearing of people turning in the slices and cubed portions of the tip. [p] When I serve brisket at a catering event. I slice the flat and chunk up the tip and serve it all. I even pull a portion of it for those that like pulled beef.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Rodney,
    That is an awesome explanation of competition BBQ. I just wish I knew how long the long run was sometimes. :)[p]Actually I don't need to worry about the long run's length until I get the good food part down. There's always a catch!! :)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    hey, i found the link to that last picture ...here it is ....

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/136410.htm[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey max! I'm just about to head out of town and will be getting back on Sunday. If you don't mind, send me a reminder and I'll repost that thread.[p]john
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Rodney,[p]Here you go.[p]17Feb07brisketflat.jpg
    17Feb07brisketcloseup.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    070406set2006.jpg
    070406set2004.jpg
    070406003.jpg
    30March2006006.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2047_edited.jpg[p]And my first brisket almost 3 years ago[p]8_lb_beef_brisket_24_June_04.jpg[p]8_lb_beef_brisket_sliced_24_June_04.jpg

• fishlessman
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    most butchers in my area buy their brisket to make grey corned beef. each shop has there own recipe, much better than the red salty stuff the rest of the country sees. mostly they use flats, a packer is special order, havent seen one for years. i never see brisket in the case and if i want a flat i tell my butcher on monday and he usually has it by the end of the week. he wont order packers unless its for the 4th of july because there really are only a few of us up here wanting them. supermarket briskets are cut so small that you cant really cook one right. if i want pulled or chopped beef i buy a big chuck roll.

fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    ebfc47b6.jpg
    <p />Rodney,[p]Ask and you shall receive. Boy-oh-boy, I'm getting sort of hungry lookin' at all these pictures.....This might be a brisket weekend.[p]~thirdeye~[p]ccb419b3.jpg[p]cd4733e3.jpg[p]d7389712.jpg[p]7bd828bc.jpg

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Gee,
    That link so reminds me of all the boning of briskets I did when working in the sausage kitchen, especially when St. Paddy's day was coming. [p]That was many years ago and I'm SOooooooooooooo glad to be out of the cold working enviorment.[p]Regards,
    Bordello

• fishlessman
    Options
    2004_0122Image0020.jpg
    <p />this is what a grey corned beef bbq looks like, this butcher has one of the redder colors around here, they are usually more pale. it makes great ruebens
    fukahwee maine

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Where in Deleware is Steves shop?I go to Fenwick Island every weekend is he within 30 miles of the beach area?

• brisketpoint.jpg
    <p />Man, oh mang! From this angle, it almost looks like a finger tip should be missing![p]Good looking brisket, dude.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy
  • Essex County
    Options
    MemorialDay2005021.jpg
    <p />Rodney,
    Not as pretty as the pictures below but it was good!!
    Paul

• BurntOfferingBBQ
    Options
    This has to be one of the best post in a long time!! Thanks for re-posting and sharing!
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I cook a lot of briskets but have never heard of a shoulder clod. Is that a brisket and shouler together? How big is it really? Could it fit in a BGE.
    Always lookin to cook something new, this sound interesting.[p]Thanks
    Kenny

• bshldr1.jpg
    <p />Hey Kenny,[p]Here's a pic of a clod I found online. I've never cooked one, but I think the average weight is around 20 lbs. Folks cook them when they want a mess of pulled or chopped beef. From what I understand, you getter yeild from these than brisket and they're cheaper. No experience though.[p]Good to see you a few weeks ago. Glad you could get down there.[p]Rod

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    120_2088.jpg
    <p />Rodney, two flats - I kept one and gave one to my neighbor......based on the photo which one do you give the neighbor....

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Pic #3, is that a stuffed brisket?[p]Cheers, Glenn