Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to reach desired temp?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long should it take my XL BGE to reach 600 degrees F? [p]What's the fastest way to get it to a high temp? Multiple starters? Electric starter?[p]Total newbie here.[p]Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• 21jan07-003.jpg
    <p />ribeye rob,
    harbor freight propane weed burner

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    ribeye rob,
    Sorry I can't answer since the XL BGE is the only model I don't own. Out of curosity though what are you planning to cook on your XL that you need 600 degrees? Considering the capacity that XL that is a whole bunch of cow!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    ribeye rob,
    I don't know. Having your lump filled at least to the bottom of the firering will get you a hot fire. In my experience, multiple starters get it going hotter quicker, but you still have to wait for them to go out and the dome temp usually drops a bit when that happens. Also, some lumps burn hotter/quicker than others. I usually use BGE, Royal Oak or Cowboy. If I'm using Cowboy, I know it gets hotter and it gets there quicker so the vents need to be dampered more than with the R.O. or BGE. [p]I have a Large, and I always wait 20-30 minutes from lighting until I put the meat on. This allows the starters to burn off, the VOCs to burn off, the temp to stabilize at whatever temp I need. I cooked a pizza a few nights ago and I started it with one starter in the middle and I was shooting past 650 before i was ready to cook (again I was allowing 20 - 30 minutes before I started cooking)[p] If I need a hot fire, I keep checking it and start damping it down 50 degrees before I get there. WARNING- if the Egg is new - like a week or two - don't let it go unattended at high temps and don't keep it at high temps for long- the gasket will fuse/fry/melt.[p] Scroll down the thread aways an you'll see where it happened to a guy on his first cook. Happened to me on day 5, but I was in the habit of leaving it unattended while it got up to nuclear temps. I then learned how to install a new gasket![p]Good Luck, Have Fun!

• RRP,[p]steaks. ribeyes, of course :-)[p]rr
  • FirstButtsonEggFeb42007-3fan002.jpg?t=1172717124
    <p />ribeye rob,[p]Fastest way I've found to get a good hot fire quickly is to first get it started with my Mapps. [p]Then I have a small battery powered fan that I let blow in the bottom door. [p]Better not wander off - it'll get real hot real fast. [p]
  • RRP
    Options
    Bubba_T,
    LOL, but if you'll open that vent all the way you'll save on the batteries!!!

• RRP
    Options
    ribeye rob,
    but, how many at a time? That XL has a lot of grill space and if you plan to get that big boy up to 600 on a regular basis to just grill a few steaks then your lump consumption will be measured by the pallets! OTOH if you aren't cooking for an army then the addition of a smaller BGE will be brillant, cost saving move.

• RRP,
    Yea, actually that pic was taken when I was upping the temp during a butt cook a couple of weeks ago. The point of the pic was simply to show the fan. [p]When I'm getting it cranked up, the vent's WAO.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ribeye rob,[p] I use the starter cubes on my XL. I break two of them in half and place them at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock about 4" from the center. I light them all off and make sure that a piece of the lump lies loosely over them. I had Humpty up to 750 and the smoked cleared in 20 minutes. Did the same with the MAPP torch too.
  • eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Rick i was looking at that last night on their site. Does it fit all tanks?? R just the older tanks??

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I don't have a fan, and it probably isn't quite as fast as a fan, but I have a chimney extender that gets a good draft going.
  • eggaholic,
    yes, sir... it fits the new opd tank valves. i have three new propane tank valves and they are threaded in the female and male configuration.

[ul][li]weed burner[/ul]
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    47b7dd20b3127cce81a2c0ece2e500000016100AcMnLRi3csWPg
    <p />ribeye rob,[p] I have had my new egg going the last 2 nites with my weedburner in 1 minute or less!! Plus it is fun.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,[p] You can fill up that firebox more..[p]
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p] That was the 1st nite test run, last nite we cooked ABT's and sirloins and I filled it up good. It has been fun experimenting with fire control and such the last 2 nights. My wife and I just planned the menu for the next 4 days, lots of Eggin' on the way!

• eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Thanks Rick just ordered one of them bad boys. Burn on.

• Michael B,
    What is the chimney extender? [p]How long/high does it extend? [p]Got a picture?

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    ribeye rob,
    I also use a weed burner to get things started, but usually wait about an hour before putting any meat on my large. This lets the ceramic heat evenly, lets the lump settle in, and lets the wood burn off the bitter smoke that comes early in the burn. I'm retired and have the time, but I don't think using the egg is a matter of how fast it can heat up. You got to have patience. Perfection takes a little longer.
    Mike