Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken Recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Coals are heat'n up on our brand new egg. How long and hot for whole chickens on the v-rack? Appreciate any and all help.

Comments

• FV-Egger
    Options
    Crabapple Eggman,[p]Last few times I've done a whole chicken on the v-rack, I've started it out at 350 and when it neared done by temp (about an hour or hour and a half), I raised the temp up to 400 to crisp the skin if needed. Juiciest chickens I have ever had. I'm sure that the others will pipe in with input as well. :) Enjoy!

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Crabapple Eggman,
    We did one upright tonight, 450 for a hair over an hour. It would take a little longer on a V Rack. We gave it an ample coating of Dizzy Dust and it came out nice and moist with a nice crispy skin.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Crabapple Eggman, indirect 425 grid temp for little over an hour or until juices run clear. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SouthOfI10
    Options
    Crabapple Eggman,
    I just did a whole chicken this weekend. For the money, it's still one of my favorite cooks. A friend gave me some fresh rosemary, so I used a lot of it, lemon and apple. It turned out fairly good, but I made a few blunders.
    DSC00875.jpg
    For some reason, I was thinking 325F dome temp. I like a crispier crust and usually cook at 375F dome. I was pretty disapointed in the texture of the skin, but the taste was great. This is how I like it to look(this one was 375F dome). Next time, I may try the tips posted below about raising the temp at the end of the cook.
    DSC00459.jpg
    Like the others have said, it's surely going to be a juicy bird.
    DSC00902.jpg[p]It won't do you any good now, but next time, try two birds. Brine one of the birds overnight and do the other without a brine. IMHO, brining just adds a lot more flavor.

• FV-Egger,[p]Thanks all ... just raised the temp from 300 to 375. Wish I had reached out earlier. Mom and the kids are so excited. Hope i don't disappoint.