Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stuffed chops update

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK people here`s the status...stuffing..diced onion and minced garlic sauted in butter with cubed apple and almond chips added..a dash of cumin,paprika,cinamon,sugar added to bread crumbs.oh yeah a nice slice of Cabot extra sharp cheese in there f or good measure..all this coated in Hickory/molasses Char crust smoking away on apple chips at a constant 350*..this is totaly shooting from the hip..didnt copy anything..so we shall see....am sgooting for an internal of 150*..any advice or comments would be appreciated....[p]Dam..life is better..
Wess

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    WessB,[p]Directions to your fest would be appreciated ;-). That sounds wonderful![p]I would remove at 140°F internal as the meat is medium at this point and a 10-15 minute rest will allow it to finish without drying.[p]Spin

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Spin,[p]How long should 1 1/2 inch stuffed chops be on the grill. I have had trouble with them in the past being too dry.[p]FYI, I do not use a polder.[p]Dec

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Spin,
    If you hadda chimed in earlier I would have gladly welcomed ya.....hey...how bout I just E mail ya some..LOL...theres a whole chop left...it was very good but I will leave out the bread crumbs next time...and as far as the temps..I ran 350 indirect to an internal of 150* cranked up to 400* dome to an internal of 155* to aid the charcrust...and to answer Dec...I believe it was just over an hour..but honestly didn`t check the time when I started....these would be great with some marmalade maybe orange..inside..[p]OH Yeah...
    Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Dec,[p]A polder or reliable temperature probe is very convienent in helping to understand meat doneness, especially with stuffed items. Since the stuffing is cooked to almost done prior to the cook it only needs to reheat. A temperature gauge needs to read the inside of the meat - not the stuffing.[p]Sans the gauge, you can use the feel method. Press on the raw meat with your finger to get a feel of it. As the meat cooks, it will stiffen. Check the doneness by slicing and peeking when the meat has the same feel of pressing your finger into the meat of the web between your thumb and forefinger when your hand is closed into a loose fist.[p]Lower cooking temperatures tend to be longer cooks, but provide a moister meal along with a longer time window between when the meal is almost done and overcooked.[p]Spin
  • Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Spin,[p]As of now I just use the feel method. Forehead, well done. Nose, medium. Chin, rare. The downside is it doesn't work well for the larger pieces of meat. [p]Dec

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dec,
    Nor does it work if you have a bony nose or chin!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ