Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

what's your favorite steak

tjvtjv Posts: 3,333
edited 3:38PM in EggHead Forum
tenderloinscastirongrid0001.jpg
<p />I seared these tenderloins last night: very tender but bland on flavor. I've concluded ribeyes are my favorite with strips a close second. What is your favorite steak? [p]I'm asking because while steaks are still on the menu, they are becoming a special cook item, dang cholesterol! Just want to make sure, I'm not missing something. Thanks Tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
·

Comments

• icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    tjv,[p]KC Strip...NY strip...anything with a good marble..[p]
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    tjv,
    I love grilled beef, so my favorite steak is the one I happen to be eating at the moment. [p]That said, I almost always go for the strip steak, but the rib-eye is very close.

·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    tjv,[p]For now, tri-tip cut into steaks about three fingers wide are high on the list for flavor and value. I'm still doing the hot tub thing on them too.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS nice job on that basket, that was a lot of rolling. Was it all 1/4" and what was the spacing between the rings?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    tjv,
    tenderloin is tender, but doesn't have much fat, and so doesn't have much flavor.[p]rib-eyes have a lot of flavor, and are pretty tender when done correctly. lotta fat, lotta flavor.[p]strips are a a nice average of the two, to be overly general. if i am buying a choice steak, raw and unaged, it's usually a strip. for me, a choice rib-eye can be too wet with fat, and can fall apart.[p]if i am buying dry-aged, it's almost ALWAYS a rib eye. the fat has dried out and condensed so that it remains firm (but tender) and doesn't flop apart. i also think it gains most from aging.[p]porterhouse and t-bones are great for show, but i'd rather cook the strip and/or tenderloin by itself. [p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    TriTipCook3-1.jpg
    <p />tjv,
    I like a grilled Tri-Tip cooked to medium rare. I season with DP's Raising the Steaks rub. Good luck, Tom

·
  • ribeye.jpg
    <p />tjv,
    I have got to agree, ribeyes have become my favorite. But when in the area. I have to get a filet from McGonigles.
    I usually wrap in proscuitto.
    steak1.jpg[p]Mike

·
  • tjv,
    no question, the homely hanger steak ... biggest, beefiest flavor around!![p]DSCN1600.jpg

·
  • tjv,
    ribeyse, strips steaks, skirt steaks, flank, tenerlion is last.

·
  • tjv,
    Yeah...tenderloins for tenderness and always with a sauce (Bearnaise is my favorite) and rib eyes for flavor with nothing but some fresh ground salt and pepper.

·
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What is Hanger steak? this looks like skirt steak.

·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,939
    tjv,[p]I thinnn, (as Ricky Riccardo used to say)... I'm with you.[p]Ribeyes first...[p]Sear2.jpg[p]Strips second, (but only if they're good ones)[p]RibeyeBalsamico.jpg[p]But...
    Max has got me hooked on Hanger Steaks...so they are, (on any given Sunday)...a possible winner!![p]HangerSteak5.jpg

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
    ·
  • BuddyBuddy Posts: 17
    MINE WOULD BE THE ONE AT THE 7:30 POSITION

New York Strip T rex
    1.5" thick
    johnny d
    ·
  • HungryMan,
    different 'muscle' .. .hanger steak is the muscle that connects the diaphram to the rib cage. .. texture is a little softer than skirt or flank steak, though you still have cut across the grain for the most tender slice possible. ..its got a wonderful 'beefy' flavor .. also called a 'butcher' steak, cause the butcher's used to keep them for themselves cause they knew how good it was. ..very popular in french bistros where its called an "onglet" steak ...likes marinade and a fast hot sear. . ..

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    tjv,
    Ribeyes! -RP

·
  • TRexTRex Posts: 2,708
    medrare.JPG
    <p />tjv,[p]For me, ribeyes and strips always run neck and neck. We'll call it a draw.[p]Wanting a steak now,[p]TRex
    ·
  • EggRacerEggRacer Posts: 400
    tjv,[p]The last one I cooked is always my favorite. I like ribeyes, strips and sirloins, pretty much in that order. Actually anything that's not too tough is fine with me.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
    ·
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Next time we're together (perhaps Waldorf???) I need you to give me a lesson in slicing these things. I always seem to screw it up. I know you told me something about separating one muscle from the other but somewhere in the process it always goes awry for me.[p]Love meat, but never claimed to be a butcher,[p]TRex
    ·
  • tjv,[p]I love a good fillet for the tenderness, but I bring my own flavor to the party. I'll marinade them overnight in this stuff:[p]2 cups cider vinegar
    1/2 cup good cab. s.
    1/2 cup grocery store grade balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup EVOO
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp black pepper corns
    2 cloves garlic[p]Whir it all up in a blender and soak the fillets for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best. Grill 'em TRex or regular to your desired doneness. Mighty tasty![p]For a steak that stands on its own merit, I'll choose a NY strip. I massage them with EVOO and grind on a little salt and pepper. Off to the TRex machine they go. They really don't need any special treatment or flavoring. y the way, though it has a little firmer bite, a good sirloin can stand on its own flavorwise, too.

·
  • TRex,
    if you're coming to waldorf pal, i'll make sure to have plenty of hangers to practice on. . .and actually, i've been thinking i'm gonna keep it simple this year and i'm planning on bringing half a dozen of them, doing up with different seasonings/marinades. . .you and me, we'll have a little 'slicing session' :)

·
  • BBQBluesStringer,[p]Got vinegar on the brain today. That should be 2 cups cider, not cider vinegar.
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] I'll have the Tri-Tip :)[p]
    ·
    TRex,[p]That pic always gets me!!![p]Thanks.......[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
    ·
  • Celtic Wolf,
    thats why they invented cows with so many different parts :-)[p]everyone gets to pick their favorite parts

·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] If I win the lottery between now and then I'll bring my favorite parts... Till then ya'll need to settle for Tri-Tip..[p]

·
  • ronbeauxronbeaux Posts: 988
    tjv,
    Dry aged ribeys!

·
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Awesome. I'm looking forward to it (and crossing my fingers that I'll be able to make Waldorf).[p]Jason
    ·
    Chubby,[p]Me too. I get sorta choked up, actually - reminds me of the good ole days when I was buying prime strips and ribeyes at HEB for $9.99 a pound. Alas . . . [p]TRex
    ·
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks for the answer. I will probably have to go to a butcher. I never have seen one at publix or anywhere around
    tampa.

·
    TRex,[p]Ok...let me feed the Beast!![p]Here's an oldie...but goodie!![p]P21201162.jpg[p]I can ship...you know!![p]Evans
    ·
    Chubby,[p]Ah, how I do miss the prime beef at HEB. I can go to Whole Foods here but $$$$![p]Time to buy a scratch-off,[p]TRex
    ·