Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sourdough starter

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGEFirstSourdough07001.jpg
<p />It's alive. :o) Now to keep it alive. Feeding every day in hopes of developing an active starter to make the real deal, rustic sourdough breads. So far it has moved along slowly, perhaps that is the nature of wild yeast, not sure. Little bubbles in a fairly wet batter and it smells great, much like beer. I did a test dough ball to see if it would proof but was not impressed with the amount of expansion so I think my starter needs to mature a little more.

BGEFirstSourdough07004.jpg

Keeping the starter warm on the cable box, that works for me.
Clay

Comments

• HolySmokes
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]that looks very healthy![p]just be careful... years ago we had a great Alaskan culture working fine and had good sourdough all the time, then one week we had a 'cleaning person' come in and she tossed it, saying "I cleaned up all that old stuff out of your fridge"...[p]we never did get back into it... too bad, too. HS
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]It certainly looks like it is on the way. I'd be careful with the heat from the cable box. The ideal temperature for a culture to grow is between 70F and 75F, and it is better to err on the cool side when building a starter.[p]Puj
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Looks like thing are going well. Since it is a young starter it will take some time to build the flavor you are looking for. I would half that starter and put on in the fridge, in a jar covered with plastic wrap with a couple of holes poked in it. I have seen people put a starter in the fridge with a lid and blow the jar apart. [p]The reason I say split it and put some in the fridge is just in case something happens you have a back up and don't have to start over...[p]Also just use white flour...now that you have it going..
    If you want to have some fun split your starter. Then half in the fridge to save..then split the other half ...
    Use flour/water mixture in one and milk/flour in the other..[p]The milk flour will really be sour!...

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]I just received fresh cultures from Sourdoughs International in Idaho. I bought their original Sanfransisco and Italian cultures. I used them both for many years but didn't bring them with me when I moved last fall. So, I'm starting over again.[p]Have you worked with real sourdough before? If you're used to dry active yeast or bread machines, it can seem like your starter isn't working. It takes many many hours for a dough to rise and proof. I usually start mine the evening before I want to bake, punch it down the next morning and shape it into loaves, then let it proof for 4 to 6 hours. I keep the tops moist with occasional spritzes of water or olive oil. Next I score the tops with a razor blade and pop 'em into the egg or oven.
    [ul][li]Sourdoughs International[/ul]
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    About this time last year I was making my first sourdough bread but I used commercial yeast to 'boost' the developement of the starter I made. This time around I'm going with wild yeast found in stone ground rye flour, a traditional leaven is cultivated from this and that's what I'm working with right now. So far looks good and I'm anticipating some mighty fine hearth style bread in the near future.
    Thanks for the resource, very interesting to be able to obtain starters from around the world! The more I look into bread baking, the more there is to learn! Thanks again for your tips.
    Clay

• BBQBluesStringer,
    I have been developing the Italian cuilture from Ischia and trying to take pizza dough into the beyond. I have not yet made it to Jeff Varasono's standards (afraid to go with dough that wet) but the taste is there. Have you tried it in pizza dough?

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Frozen,[p]I do sourdough pizza all the time...I use a starter that is over 60 years old..[p]What I do is make my dough and then need in a tablespoon of my
    starter..put it in the fridge for 5 or 6 days..pull it out the morning I am going to use it ...set it on the counter to rise..[p]Then shape and add toppings and throw on the egg at 800+ deg[p]I use a very hydrated dough