Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Prep Idea

BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had been dreading replacing what's left of my old gasket because of the extensive scraping, cleaning, and preparation required to get the new gasket to adhere properly. Then it occurred to me to use a wire wheel bit in my cordless drill. The whole job took about ten minutes, including cleaning with acetone. The wire wheel just buzzes right through the old gasket and adhesive, but doesn't bother the ceramic. Wear safety goggles and a shirt you don't want to keep.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BBQBluesStringer,
    the wire wheel is fine if you're just using the BGE replacemnet tape as the adhesive just bonds to the surface. OTOH if you're using an adhesive that pernatrates the pores the metal brush wears down and fills those pores - in fact the edge even becomes burnished using a wire rotary. Instead 3M makes a stripper wheel that wears down and does a terrific job much faster besides.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    Yep, the 3m wheel worked great for me. So much better than spending half an hour scraping with a razor blade.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0198.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,
    here's a pix of it plus a pumice stone for the final clean. These work great!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Can't imagine why you need to strip the gasket. I cooked my entire gasket off in my first firing up of the egg tonight. I don't understand it. It completely melted away.[p]Kind of upsetting actually. Brand new egg and all.[p]