Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

forgot to apply mustard

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was so excited to prep the ribs I got today for tomorrow's cook that I forgot to apply the mustard before putting the rub on. How big of a deal is that? will it effect the taste or cook dramatically?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]No problem. Mustard is one of the things on the "it's a tool, not a rule" list.[p]You can still paint some on if it makes you feel better.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • toomsdpt
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Putting iit on top of the rub would be ok at this point?
  • thirdeye
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]Sure. If you are worried about moving the rub around, just thin out the mustard with water, wooster, apple juice.[p]On the other hand, have you ever tried ribs without the slather?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• toomsdpt
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]always have used mustard before. [p]UGH
  • BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    Now is a great time to learn and try something different.[p]You'd be surprised at just how many great tasting ribs get cooked without using any mustard or a slather mix.[p]If you apply your rub and let it set on the ribs for a bit you will see the spices start to break down as the salt starts to draw some moisture fro the top of the meat. Those seasonings will start to get into the top area of the rib and satick on just fine.[p]They will cook the same with or without it too. You actually may not go back to using mustard after this cook. I used to use it a lot but have since stopped. Just can't see any difference between the two ways.[p]Bob

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p] I am with bbqBob.. I forget to put mustard on my ribs on purpose. In fact I just put two bone-in 7.5 pound pork butts into Humpty without mustard.. Rubbed the heck out of them with a home-made rub I hope to use in competition.[p] Egg is stable at 220. No visible smoke. This cook will be just the lump. If I like it I will add some pecan to the next try.. [p] Practice, Practice, Practice. Next Week-end will be brisket without (GASP!) SUGAR...
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]One of these days I'm going to cook a brisket WITH a sugar based rub. LOL[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    thirdeye,[p] It seems to be all the rage..[p]