Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Willy

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What a great time at the Fest this weekend. Thanks to everyone at Seasonal Distribution and to Tim for all of their hard work at making EF2K+1 a rousing success. Great to see and meet some new faces as well as catch up with old friends. I have my ticket for Atlanta in October!!!
Unfortunately, I not only missed out on the preFestivities, but I missed a bunch of good cooking while I was attempting to roll some naan. I didn't get to sample the squid, beef tenderloin, brunswick stew, pulled pork, or the jerked beer butt chicken, and none of the sausages! UGH. (My wife, who usually runs a recon operation for me, wasn't able to attend this year!). Fortunately Cat was cooking right behind me and I was able to snatch a rib before they were all consumed...6 racks disappeared in record time. Nature Boy, AWESOME brisket, as usual. JJ, mighty fine chicken (didn't taste the quiche), Spin...ohhhhhhhh the clams! Char Buddy, that tandoori chicken was just great.
I was mightily impressed by Jim W's ribs! I gnawed on those bones long after the meat was eaten! The first thing I did when I arrived home on Saturday evening was to throw together some of Wild Willy's rub (recipe in Smoke N Spice), and the first thing I'm going to do tomorrow is to order up some baby backs! Thanks, Jim! [p]Thanks again to everyone for a great Fest. Tom and I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. Looking forward to October! Hopefully, Woody can make this one!
bd

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    bdavidson, after reading all these posts, I am really getting a hankerin...I might have a few new toys to demo, along with a cook or two or three. I will conspire with JJ for Atlanta 2001.

I really enjoyed all those pics so far and more to come. Hoooo Boy!! And it seems Cats Ribs steal the show again. And Mr.Toad gets high honorable mention with his fabulous loins...The pork ones of course. You know..the ones in the cooker...:-) Good to see him again.[p]BTW..for all that JJ eats, how does he keep so skinny?Between now and then I have to build up my Mint Julep tolerance..hey, that reminds me time to plant those minty guys.
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Char-Woody:[p]So C~W . . . Does that mean you are committed for Atlanta this fall? I think you and your son would have a real good time . . . See what you can do this year, OK?
  • Char-Woody
    djm5x9, Its now or never...and time to plan. BTW, I had my first, and now to be sure, not the last Portobello Mushroom's as you pretty much described em. I sprayed em with olive oil..a dash of kosher salt, a sprinkle of fresh ground peppercorn, and some Mozzeralla Cheese. I might have rushed it a bit as not sure the time for a cook. I ran at 425F on the small BGE with the slider just cracked open. I think next time I will grill it top side down, then flip and fill with cheese and finish. Irregardless they were excellent for a first run. Better to come.
    Thanks..C~W

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    bdavidson,
    Sir..it was a pleasure to have met you..and sorry to hear that you missed so much of the food....for the record the Naan was out of this world....Saly already said I have to learn to make that...
    Thanks for expanding my menu a little further.
    Trust you had a safe trip home!!![p]Wess

• bdavidson
    Char-Woody,
    We didn't have a huge vegetarian representation at EF this year. Char Buddy made some stir-fried chicken with veggies in a wok set in the egg, and fruit kabobs made their first appearance, but other than that, the Waldorf Elks was largely a vegetable-free zone. Portabellos may be your entry at Eggtoberfest! We'd sure like to meet you in person.
    bd

• bdavidson
    WessB,
    The pleasure was all mine. Glad to have met you. Made it back home by 6:30, safe and sound. Thanks.

• Char-Woody
    bdavidson, thats much too easy...But I do have a Emu farm nearby :-)
    C~W

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    bdavidson,[p]My wife is bugging me to try the naan. It was just awsome and, along with MikeO's fruit ka-boobs, they were the most unusual things at the fest (IMHO). When I get ready to do them I will certainly ask you a couple questions first - they were great, you say the recipe is already posted? I'll go look.[p]Tim
  • bdavidson
    Mighty tasty--them Emus, but I'm partial to Ostrich! :-)
    bd

• bdavidson
    Tim M,
    The naan recipe is posted, but the fruit kabobs were an EF2K+1 MikeO original. They were delicious. Reminded me of his grilled pineapple last year. Very good.
    The naan recipe was given to me by my friend who runs the Indian Restaurant here in Harrisburg. Since they typically make a bunch of it every day, the amounts are difficult to quantify, but pretty close. I think the key is the 600 degree stone. Towards the end of the cook last weekend, I began to run a little low on lump and cooked the last few loaves at 400-450...not nearly as good. I also added fresh cilantro to the raisins, nuts, and ginger.
    Thanks for the kudos.
    bd

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    bdavidson,
    I must admit that those were some awesome ribs. Good luck with yours.
    JimW

• bdavidson
    JimW,
    I've got the rub all mixed up and ready to go. Baby backs this weekend! I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

• Char-Woody
    bdavidson, can I cheat and rename em..BTW..do you prefer neck or drumstick..:-)[p]
  • BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Char-Woody,
    Wings. ha ha ha