Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Runza

Options
phreakingeek
phreakingeek Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any mid-west eggers try their hand at making a runza on the egg? If so, I'd love time/temp info...as well as how it turned out.[p]I havent had a runza since i lived in Nebraska...and that was 25 years ago in jr high.[p]but i'm thinking about more than just the old traditional recipe of ground beef, onions, and cabbage stuffing. I want pulled pork...or beer butt chicken stuffing. maybe even go crazy and put that ABT dip in there as a filling. [p][p]
[ul][li]Runza Wikipedia[/ul]

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    phreakingeek, we had a discussion on Runza some time ago. When we did I decied that this is theone I would try on the EGG. Never did, but maybe it'll give you a start:
    Runzas
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 lb Ground beef
    1 md Head cabbage, chopped
    4 Onions, thinly sliced
    2 pk Yeast
    1/4 cup Water
    2 cup Warm water
    6 Tbs Oil
    5 Tbs Sugar
    1 Tbs Salt
    5 1/2 cup Flour (more if needed)

Procedure
    1 Brown beef and remove from pan; saute onions in hamburger grease until transparent.
    2 Add cabbage and cooked beef to onions and cook until tender, adding a little water if it gets too dry.
    3 Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    For dough,
    1 soften the 2 pkg yeast in 1/4 cup water.
    2 Add 2 cups warm water, the oil, sugar, and salt.
    3 Add flour until the dough consistency is no longer sticky (but not too stiff).
    4 Let rise until double; punch down and let re-rise (about another hour).
    Assembly
    1 These can truly be made in about any size or shape (appetizer vs.sandwich; round vs. rectangular), so use your own judgment.
    2 Take a piece of dough and roll into a rectangular or round shape, about 1/4" thick.
    3 Add filling, and pinch the edges firmly to seal making sure the filling is totally enclosed.
    4 Flatten slightly, and place on greased cookie sheet or pan, seam-side down.
    5 Let rise again until about double (about 1/2 hour or so).
    6 Bake at 375 or 30 minutes.
    7 If desired, brush with 1 beaten egg mixed with a little water about 15 minutes into baking for a nice golden color.
    Yield: 18 sandwiches
    Recipe Source
    Web page: http://www.recipecottage.com/pastries/runzas.html

[p]

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Looks like yooper food, Bill.
    Julie

[ul][li]yooper?[/ul]
  • phreakingeek,[p]I did em on the egg not too long ago. Pretty simple. Make your dough (or go pick up some fresh made at Publix). Let it rise. While it's coming up, brown the hamburger (or whatever floats your boat, I spice mine up with garlic, jalapeno, salt, pepper, etc.), add the onion and cabbage and cook until the veggies have softened. Let the filling cool down, roll out the dough and add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup filling into each and close it up. I brush mine with a little egg wash. I set the egg up just like for pizza (500 w/ the plate setter/pizza stone setup) and put the runzas on till they brown up a bit (depends on the size, but mine were about 15-20 minutes before they were ready to eat). I serve mine with some spicy mustard. They're great.
  • eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    phreakingeek,
    Used to live in Omaha and a go up there a few days a week for business now and i love runzas. You got me thinking about making some on the egg. I am sure they would be great and cook just like a pizza at 450 till browned. If i get some made next week i will post pictures.