Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to start?

Options
DJ
DJ Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to start the charcoal? We have been purchasing starter from the store we purchased the egg but they seem to always be out. We need to find an alternative. [p]Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    DJ, I really like the convenience and reliability of the Webber starter cubes. Late last summer when I went to Lowes to buy a box I was told they wouldn't be restocking until Spring so I just placed a special order for a case of them which is 12 boxes. No price break, but at $1.89 per box it wasn't a big investment anyway and the idea of a large supply makes me happy! BTW that's 288 fires per case...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    DJ,
    Personally, I followed the recomendation of the store I bought my Egg and use an electric starter. Takes about 10 mins to get the base lit before closing the dome.
    If I ever lose power, I'm in trouble.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    DJ,
    Always consider your Egg to be a survival tool. I recommend having the starter sticks/cubes, in addition to an electric starter coil----just in case the lights go out in Georgia..or wherever you might be. Both work equally well.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    DJ, I use a little propane torch thats meant for soldering copper pipe.........works mint![p]Mop!

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    DJ,
    I use the electric starter it takes about 10 mins. before you can close the dome. Have cubes for backup in case of power failure.
    B D

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,
    Think I've got you beat... I like to shop close-out stores, and at the end of summer can get good deals on "fire-starters," just a block of paraffin and wood chips. (How good? $0.25 for two blocks.) Cut them into slices with a hacksaw and keep 'em in a ziploc till I need them.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    BlueSmoke, you sure did! yet my point was saying to buy in bulk so as to have an inventory on hand and not to be at the mercy of the merchant like the original poster was.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.