Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injection Question

Options
Mikey
Mikey Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking of trying out one of the cajun injector flavors on my next cook. I am going to be doing a couple of chickens with some pecan for smoke (thanks to wise one!) and am thinking of using their creole butter marinade. At my local grocery they sell the small jars with the original injector included, so I am planning on picking one up tomorrow. Is there anything else you do to the outside of the bird? I want to make sure I get everytyhing I need in one trip.[p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mikey, I personally have never injected a bird, but I would use a good oil on the exterior.
    C~W

• Mikey
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I've never injected one either, but there was some discussion ealier on the board and it made me want to try it. I usually use a good olive oil on the outside, but I also usually have some rub or seasoning on it. I was wondering if I needed to put any seasoning on the outside if I was injecting.[p]Mike[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Mikey,
    C-W hit it right on the nose! Wash the birds, pat dry, rub the outside with cooking or olive oil. To add a little more flavor, I coat the outside with a cajun seasoning(Tony C's),
    black pepper and usually onion and garlic as well. Then follow the directions for injecting. Best if you can allow the birds to sit overnight.
    The next time you go to inject a bird, you can make your own sauce! Not sure what the mixture you have is but read it. And if you think it will blend well, melt a stick of butter in it first!
    Hope this helps...any more questions, ask away or write.

• Mikey
    Options
    Shelby,
    Thanks for the info. I think I am going to do 2 birds, one injected and one just seasoned on the outside. I want to try something new, but the wife likes them the way I've done them so far, so I better get at least one done the way she is sure to like!![p]Thanks again,
    Mike

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mikey, I think doing both is overkill..just inject and oil the bird. My opinion anyway.
    C~W[p]

• Mikey,[p]The injector works well. It creates pockets of juices inside the bird. I did a turkey last year with mine. The only thing I don't like is the saltiness of the pre-made marinade. Seems like everything off the shelf like that tends to be too salty for my tastes, however. It isn't OVERWHELMINGLY salty, and was rather tasty. I used one of the garlic types.[p]Anyway, I think you could adapt your own recipies to the injector. I plan to work on some this summer.[p]
    DSS

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    Mikey,
    I used a Cayenne (sp?) Oilive oil once that gave the bird such a nice juicy and slighty hot flavor. Makes me want to do another one that way. Youll get your moneys worth out of the injector I would imagine anyway. [p] your ol pal alt

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    No, doing both isn't overkill, unless you over-season either one. The outside rub won't penetrate into the bird itself but make the skin/top layer more tasty. Injecting will add flavor as well as additional juice/moisture inside. You could always go with a plain chicken brooth or butter injection if you wanted to cut back on spice. You'll notice I use very little salt since most products have a high sodium level already.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Mikey,
    That great book "Smoke 'n Spice" by Jamison, has some homemade injector marinades, you can make yourself, some of which are beer-based. Definitely a happening way to do your bird, both for flavor and moisturization. This is the one book I would suggest to anyone who's wanting to get some great recipes for rubs, sauces, and meals...whether you're one of the unfortunate Eggless of society, as I once was...or re-born in your new belief in the Green god. Bon Apetit from Nuevo Mexico!!

• Mikey
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Doh! I actually own that book and haven't looked at it for some time now. Thanks for the reminder. I got it back when I had my metal cooker and used several of the recipes for chicken and ribs. I don't remember it having injector recipes in it, but at that time I wasn't interested in them so I probably just skipped over them.[p]Guess I'll be doing a little reading this afternoon...[p]Thanks,
    Mike[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mikey,
    Kind of late here, but I am just getting around to catching up on tthe posts. I just got my injector last week, and injected a chicken on Thursday when earl and Barb were here. I sauteed crushed garlic in 1/2 stick of butter, added some orange juice (maybe 1/2 cup), and some of the rub that I had used on the bird. I injected the bird after 30 minutes on the egg (my bud Houndog gave me this tip). Supposedly the injection marinade tends to hang out in pockets when injected cold.[p]Anywho....it was a great bird, and was sopping wet with juice.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ