Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Table for BGE Large

Options
Pork Butt
Pork Butt Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My question is what type of wood can I use to build a table? I live in Florida if that helps. Are there any sugestions on a table and is there any web sites besides the one here on a table? [p]Thanks Pork Butt

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Pork Butt,[p]The Naked Whiz has both photos of tables and a blow by blow of how he built his own.[p]
    [ul][li]The Whiz [/ul]
  • Michael B
    Options
    Pork Butt,
    Use any wood you see used for decks or other outdoor furniture.

• Haggis,
    I had been poking around the Whiz's website and was checking out the tables and was going to ask the same question.

• Lizard Dragger
    Options
    Pork Butt,[p] The tables that BGE and their dealers sell are made of Cypress wood. I personally don't know but have been told that cypress weathers and resists water and elements well.[p] I ordered one and stained it last night, next I am going to do 3 coats of Spar urethane for protection.
  • Curly
    Curly Posts: 46
    Options
    Pork Butt,[p]Treated lumber is cheap.
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Table6.jpg
    <p />Pork Butt,
    I use treated lumber.

• Pork Butt,
    I used cedar. It was a little pricey, but it looks good and weathers well. I treated it with a couple of coats of Thompson's Water Seal. I also keep it under a cover. It's two years old and still looks new.

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Good choice on the urathane. I tried spar varnish first but was never happy with it. Three coats of urathane on my last table top is working well.[p]Ol' Spiff
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Pork Butt,
    out by the lake up here in new england i have teak, mahogany, white pine, fur, and treated lumber. the teak and mahogany stand up real well, the pine, fur, and treated stuff doesnt near the water. my vote would be for the mahogany treated with a sealer.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • phreakingeek
    Options
    Pork Butt,[p]I was worried about the arsenic used to 'treat' lumber for deck/fence construction being near my food. so, my choices were quite a bit limited to the 'untreated' wood available at the local lowes. I opted to use cedar since it came in workable dimensions and would be a good looking wood once oiled. I didnt spend any more for it than i would have on treated lumber...and i dont worry about poison leaching from it.[p]
    Turned out pretty nice, and I built it for under $150...including the wheels:
    130807861-M.jpg[p]

• Home Brew
    Options
    jake42,[p]Watch out for treated wood and food contact as the wood is treated with an arsenic based compound. Expensive but nice is Trex, and engineered wood.
    [ul][li]Trex Here[/ul]
  • swamprb
    Options
    100_1392.jpg
    <p />Pork Butt, The first table I built was out of treated decking. Then I found a Cypress table and used Ipe (Ironwood) decking shorts for this top. I'm planning to add fold away tables on each side.[p]
  • swamprb,[p]I like what you've done with the top. Looks classy.[p]Now, the idea for the fold down tables got me thinkin. I have some cedar left over from mine and I bet i could put a couple tables together almost as quick as my son reachin for that last bbq rib....tiger fast.[p]
    thanks for the tip.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    swamprb,
    These brackets make mounting a fold down side a real snap. I recall they ran about $12 for the two from Woodcraft and hold like 140 pounds.
    IMG_0627.jpg

and here in down mode. BTW that is just an inexpensive maple cutting board I bought from Bath Bath & Beyond.
    IMG_0626.jpg

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />Pork Butt,
    My table is all cedar.

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    gadgetman,
    Try that again.[p]IMG_1009.jpg

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Homebrew,
    I think if you will check they made them take the arsenic out or treated wood a few years ago.

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    phreakingeek,
    I noticed you just have the little green feet under your egg in the picture. I have seen pictures of tables that have caught fire with this set up. Most guys have a barrier between the egg and the wood. Nice table, I'd hate to see it get ruined. Just a thought, Bucky

• phreakingeek
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,
    Yep, a few days ago when i took that pic i was still using just the BGE feet. My order for a platesetter and pizza stone came in yesterday and i instanly took my firebricks out of the egg and placed them under it. [p]I heeded the warnings and did it up right...i'll update my pics so some other new guys wont take my old setup as gospel and copy that 'fire waiting to happen' configuration.[p]thanks for the heads up,

• swamprb
    Options
    RRP, Thats what I'm thinking! I may have to check those out, they look a lot sturdier than the ones I had in mind. And they look very good in either position, nice job and thanks for the tip!
    Brian

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    swamprb, you're welcome. BTW here is more info and I see I stand corrected about the weight capacity, but 130 pounds isn't bad either! Don't sit on it, but most anything you're going to be egging will be under the 130 pound capacity.

[ul][li]Woodcraft hinge info[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.