Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grillin and Chillin

Options
QnOut
QnOut Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my large this weekend and loving it. Quick question. When grilling I've noticed that I have a central hot spot and rest of coals arn't lighting very quick. I'm using fire starters. How long after you light the starter do you keep egg dome open? Should I use my chimney to light the coals when grilling?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    QnOut,[p] Close the dome as soon as it's lit. Let the smoke clear. You really don't want all of the lump lit at the same time.[p]You are using Lump right?[p]
  • QnOut
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Yes using Lump. How long after you light are all the coals ready to go? I'm getting one central hot spot which is not conducive to grilling.

• Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Options
    Are you stirring the lump after the pile is lit? Once you get it going be sure to use the ash tool to stir up the pile of lump to get the fire going more evenly.
  • SuperDave
    Options
    QnOut,[p] You're ready to cook when the heavy dark smoke clears and you get near you're desired cooking temp. (I usually give it about 20~30 minutes tops) So that would be the secret, have a predetermined cooking temp in mind. Remember, when you close the dome, the heat reflects around the meat and cooks it evenly.
    Also, if you feel one spot of the grill is getting more heat than the rest, simply rotate the grill on the fire ring occassionally.
    The natural HOT SPOT in the Egg is in the back opposite of the bottom draft door. I light my fire in the front or on the sides and let it burn towards the back. Don't really know if it makes a difference, but I feel better when grilling doing it this way. lol...
    Good Luck

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    QnOut,
    Congrats on the purchase, where did you end up getting it? -RP

• SuperDave,
    So much of barbecue seems to involve intuition and "feel." That's what makes it fun and a continual challenge, even though the basics are fairly simple. Every tidbit of technique I see I file away under "Hmmmm..." :-)

• QnOut
    Options
    AZRP,
    I ended up driving up to ABQ. The guys there were great. We went across the street and bought some killer Ribeyes and they demo'd the egg for us. We had some cold Bass beers and some fresh baked bread to soak up the juices. It was awesome. Have cooked on it every night since.