Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taters, Foil or No Foil???

SouthOfI10
SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Evening, y'all.
I was just about to throw a couple of nice taters on the Egg at ~ 425F, slathered in EVOO and a good coating of Kosher salt, then wrapped in foil. And then it dawned on me that I had no idea why I was foiling them. I don't know that it benefits the cooking in any way; I've just always done it this way. Seems like some Pavlovesque problems....[p]Anyway, do y'all foil them? If so/no, why?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• SouthOfI10,
    I never foil let the flames lick them and the taste is improved plus lets smokey taste in/

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    SouthOfI10,
    nah
    no foil...[p]reminds me of an anecdote.[p]a new wife is cooking a roast for the first time, for her husband. she cuts each end off and puts it in the pan.[p]her husband asks why she cuts the end off. "i don't know. my mother always did".[p]she calls the mother in law and ask why she always cut the ends off.[p]she says, "my roasting pan was too small"[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    SouthOfI10,[p] I foil them, because I put them in the Egg while the smoke is clearing. Seems a shame to waste good heat, plus I eat them skin and all.
  • eggaholic,
    can you eat the skin or is it dried out.
    Thanks Bobby-FTW,TX

• stike,
    LOL! Ha, that is exactly how I felt twisting up the foil on the last tater. Sheez...

• onelegchef,
    He had best hope that the skin is edible. 'Cause that's my favorite part, and I am trying these with no foil. If it don't work, he'll have to listen to me whine about it... :)

• Celtic Wolf,
    The skin is my favorite part, too. I usually scoop out most of the middle and just eat the skin and surrounding meat so I don't get all full on potato...doused in a LOT of butter.... Mmmmm. I could almost do without the nice filet that is resting with Raising the Steaks....almost.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    SouthOfI10, when you foil them, what you are doing in essence is steaming them. Steaming is a nice way to cook but you can do that anywhere. Try it without the foil and see what you think. I have even sliced them in half to cook. They get a nice golden brown on the sliced surface and they cook a tad faster. Of course, I guess that makes them grilled potatoes rather than baking potatoes but any way you fix them, they're good.

• SouthOfI10,
    Foil them if you want a steamed potato, don't foil them if you want a baked potato. I slather them in olive oil, hit them with some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, and then cook for an hour at 400 degrees on a preheated pizza stone on a raised grid. Or skip the stone but keep an eye on them and turn them if necessary.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • onelegchef,
    I use a good bit of EVOO and let it sit so it really soaks in. I eat the skin too love it when it gets that brown char.

• PICT0012.jpg
    <p />SouthOfI10,
    here's a couple of sweet taters i just did straight from the camera no photo shop don't beleive in it.
    PICT0011.jpg[p]PICT0013.jpg

• DSC00847.jpg
    <p />Thanks, all, for entertaining my querries over a $0.39 potato. No foil was as good or better than my usual way and easier. Skin was browned and yummy! Amazing how the Egg can turn something so simple into something so good.[p]Cheers!
  • twicebaked2.jpg
    <p />SouthOfI10,
    Take it up a notch with twice baked next time.
    2-4 large bakers
    Crumbled cherry smoked bacon.
    1 egg
    Diced scallions.
    A little milk.
    A little Miracle Whip.
    Cheese as you please.[p]You want a moist mixture because when you put back on the egg they will dry out a little.[p]Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    SouthOfI10,
    i foil while camping when i toss them into the coals. i also foil when i cube them up with onion and zuchinni with some butter wine and herbs de province. for baked potato, smear them in lard and then roll them in seasalt, no foil.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it