Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To All Of You Going To EggFest!

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Think of those of us that couldn't make it and gnaw on one of Cat's ribs for me. I'll miss you all. Fortunately, there will be others.
Enjoy.
Carey

Comments

• Sundown,This is a question to anyone who has advice for a new owner of a large egg. We are taking delivery of one tomorrow. I have a question about chicken. I have a recipe for chicken on a Webber Grill (indirect heat), using a whole chicken balanced on a half can of beer and seasoned with a rub and/or spices. Any advice as to adapt it for use with the Egg???

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mary Gordon,
    You could check the recipe section also....there are plenty of chicken recipes there[p]Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mary Gordon,[p]Welcome to the forum and family.[p]Try the one - it is very good.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Brant's beer butt chicken[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mary Gordon, I think we invented that one here, almost and welcome to the forum as per the other posters. Beer Butt Chicken is one of our variety of chicken recipes. Best recommendation is to skip the beer can and go for the Ceramic Willy Sitters..Or use a wire sitter with a beer can squished up inside it. You will have better stability.
    The Willys set is three sizes..turkey, chicken, and cornish hen/quail sitters.
    Can be used on duck also.
    Season as you would for a oven baked bird. Other chicken tips are available as you gain on the learning curves.
    Cheers to ya..and again, welcome aboard..
    Char-Woody[p]

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Howdy, Char-Meister. I've done the beer butt quite a few times and completely agree about the stability. I also think that the beer adds to the flvor and moistness of the chicken.[p]I have a little aluminum holder, about two inches in height that a standard 12 oz. beer can fits into thus I get the beer flavoring and added stability.[p]I've seen pictures of the Willy's on the web. It looks like you could pour the beer directly into it. I am not sure how tough of a job the clean up would be though.[p]No Eggfest for me either /:-(. How close are you to Des Moines? Got a couple of future Cubbies over there that I try to keep up on - Correy Patterson and Hee Chop Soi.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Jethro,
    I use Willie's sitters only for chicken and for cornish hens. They are glazed ceramic pieces and very easily cleaned. Granted, some will say a beer can can be pitched, but a beer can is unstable and falls over too. I have nothing to gain by touting a Willie's product - I'm just a very satisfied customer. BTW here's their site.
    http://www.barbecue-store.com/sitters.htm

• Jethro
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Yeah, I don't like the falling over chicken much; thus the stand to put the can in. The Willie's products do look well designed.[p]Do pour beer or something else in your Willie's to add flavor/moisture?[p]Jethro

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Jethro,
    If you spray the chicken sitter with some Pam before use, it will make the cleanup very easy.
    JimW

• Jethro, yes for the beer - about half a can. Then I also stir in a heaping tablespoon of whatever rub I used on the bird 24 hours before. BTW I highly recommend Nature Boy's new rib rub for your next chicken. He just submitted it this week...gooood stuff, for sure, for sure! ^oo^~

• Jethro
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Thanx, I'll give that a try. I was also thinkning of slightly crushing some garlic cloves and sticking them down in the beer, can't hurt!?.[p]Jethro
  • Jethro
    Options
    JimW,[p]Good common sense idea - no wonder I didn't think of it. I'll do that next time.[p]Jethro
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Jethro, The nice part about the Willy's is the cleanup..hot soap and water and they are like new again. And easy to extract from the bird.
    Hey..we have some great Iowa Cubs in DesMoines..I am about 50 miles NNE of DM.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]