Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hangers r Done

eggaholic
eggaholic Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
setup1.jpg
<p />Grid setup above finished hangers below. @600deg 2min. each side.
hanger36.jpg[p]hanger29.jpg[p]hanger19.jpg[p]hanger18.jpg[p]

Comments

• eggaholic,
    That 600deg was dome. Where the meat was was much higher.

• Good looking stuff but what the heck is a hanger steak? I'm not familiar with the name of that cut. Is there another name for it?
  • Aha...found some info...[p]Hanger steak[p]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[p]Beef
    Beef Cut: Plate
    Steak Type: Hanger steak
    (also known as: butcher's steak, hanging tender, bistro steak.)[p]A hanger steak is a tender cut of beef steak which is said to "hang" from the diaphragm of the steer. (The diaphragm itself is a tougher muscle, comprising the outer skirt steak.) The hanger is attached to the last rib and the kidney. It resembles flank steak, but is a vaguely V-shaped pair of muscles with a long, inedible membrane down the middle. The hanger steak is very tender, but has an intense flavor, and is best marinated and cooked quickly over high heat (grilled or broiled) and served rare or medium-rare, to avoid toughness. Chefs with experience preparing beef kidneys report that the hanger steak's aroma preserves a trace of kidney. [citation needed][p]There is only one hanger steak per animal, and the entire cut typically weighs about 1 to 1.5 lbs (450 to 675g). It is prized for its tenderness and flavor, and was sometimes known as "butcher's steak" because butchers would often keep it for themselves rather than offer it for sale.[p]The hanger steak has traditionally been most popular in Europe. In French, it is known as the onglet, in Italian the lombatello, and in Spanish the solomillo de pulmon. In the United States, it has only recently become popular; formerly, it was not separated as an individual cut.[p]It is also known as the "hanging tender", and occasionally is seen on menus as a "bistro steak".[p]

[p]Definition: The Hanger Steak is a thick strip of meat from the underside of the beef cow. It hangs (hence the name) between the rib and the loin. It is part of the diaphragm and, like a skirt steak is full of flavor but can be tough if not prepared correctly. The hanger steak has a grainy texture which is great for many dishes like fajitas or bulgogi. While you can use most any method to prepare the hanger steak it does have a tendency to dry out and get tough when exposed to dry heat. When grilling or broiling you need to use a marinade first to keep it moist. This is a very tasty steak and you will really enjoy it as long as you prepare it correctly.
    Also Known As: Hanging Tenderloin, Hanging Tender, Butcher's Steak, Onglet, Butcher's Tenderloin,
    Common Misspellings: hangar steak,

• eggaholic,
    and so, how did you like that flavor compared to the ribeye you made last night?? looks like they came out most excellent. .. .

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    The flavor was good did them with DP Shakin the trees. Last time i did the soy sauce that u suggested. I think i liked the DP rub better not as salty. As far as compairing to Ribeye. Hangers are good the texture and flavor are different but i would choose the Ribeye over them at the meat counter most of the time. Just MHO.