Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with smoking turkey

Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, gang, going to smoke a whole turkey this weekend. Plan on brining it (found the directions/recipe by a stroke of luck). Here are my questions. Do I do this direct or indirect with a water pan? I don't have a turkey sitter so is direct on the grid okay? Breast up or down? Should I plan on a temp of 250?[p]Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Sandi,
    I usually cook a turkey direct at about 250 to 300. I rub greek seasoning under the skin and put some butter under the skin also. salt the cavity and put cut up apples and oranges in there. Pecan wood Pecan wood Pecan wood - this makes for an incredible bird. I usually put the breast up. You will get lots of advice and lots of variations from direct 2.5 hr cook to a 8 hr. indirect. You will find what works best for you in your situation. good luck and egg on.[p]tember

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    turkey1.jpg
    <p />Sandi,[p]Here is a picture of my setup. My main grid has a a couple firebricks with a drip pan on it with a V rack and the turkey on the V rack. The firebricks help keep the drippings from burning and so they can be added to make gravy. You can omit them and add a little water or apple juice to the drip pan. 250 deg is pretty low and will not brown the bird - I use 325-350. Rub a lite coat of olive oil on the skin to add in browning.[p]Use smoking woods with caution. Adding no wood gives a slight smoke taste, adding a chunk should be all you should try on your first bird. Foul absorbs smoke really easily and its easy to get too much.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's Cookbook[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    tember2,[p]""You will get lots of advice and lots of variations from direct 2.5 hr cook to a 8 hr. indirect.""[p]You gotta show me that recipe for an 8 hr indirect turkey cook. 2.5 hr direct will be a little hard on it too - I think most everyone suggests a drip pan (indirect).[p]Tim
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Sandi,

I was at eggfest in Atlanta last year & saw the a turkey cooked, that would blow you over. Great taste & one you would be proud to serve your guests. It was cooked up by the Puj family and was a real hit.[p]Earl

[ul][li]http://www.mindspring.com/~mpujda/pdkbird.htm[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    2big.jpg
    <p />Earl,
    Here is a picture of that monster bird.
    Larry