Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and butt shrinkage question

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this has been discussed on this forum a few times. I'm looking for some shrinkage and yeild results for pork buts and brisket. I would like some actual % of shrink on both butts and brisket. I would weight loss do to shrinkage and actual weight of usable meat. Any responsees are appreciated. It is for an upcoming business I'm opening. I have used butts shrinkage at 40% and brisket at 50%. Thanks, Tom

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]That's about right. I plan on 45% loss due to cooking and waste in the form of fat and bone. Of course I don't do a real close trim, especially on briskets, so I start with more waste weight so to speak.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the info. We are trying to figure are plate costs as well as food costs. Tom

• Carl in Indy
    Options
    Bajatom,
    KC Mike has a worksheet on AZBBQA.COM that may help.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]As in BBQ resturant or you are opening a new buisness and serving BBQ...[p]Last thing I cooked BBQ for I figured around 1/4 per person per meat...But I also had sides...So I had friends serving..as we were serving we did what most BBQ joints do. Pile on the sides. Now if a person asked for pulled pork We still only gave them 1/4 lb..They could come back for more. [p]I also figured on both meats 50% shrinkage. The reason I do this is because I don't add sauce to the pulled pork. I let the person do that. Some resturants add some kind of fluid to the pulled pork to keep it moist..This adds weight to the serving. [p]But a lot depends on how many people you are serving..[p]When I put pen to paper ...and serve 100 people I don't cook 100 lbs raw - 50 lbs cooked meat..I will add something else like smoked bologna..10 lbs goes a long way.[p]Now when I am cooking for 25 it seems like I end up cooking more because it is easier to cook extra and keep some to the side for just in case!..[p]You also didn't say if you are paying for this or someone else because that makes a big difference..[p]You would need to sit down and talk to the person ...tell them what you will need, count on 50% shrinkage to cover yourself and go from there..