Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any good suggestions on cooking Pork Chops (pork loin, center cut)?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Egger,[p]For chops I like to brine them several hours, add rub and then grill until they reach an internal of 145°. They are one of the few things that I will use a sauce on during the last 10 minutes of the cook.[p]Try some pork steaks sometime, cut from the blade end of the shoulder. They really have a great flavor due to the marbling. They can be barbecued or grilled, really hard to go wrong with these.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Egger,[p]Do yourself a favor...get Rib Chops!
    (They are a superior choice when grilling,
    to either that you mentioned...hands down)!![p]RagingRibChops.jpg[p]Check to make sure you're not getting Chops that have been "Enhanced"![p]Have then cut thick and of uniform thickness and treat
    them like a steak![p]RagingRibChops6.jpg[p]Enjoy!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    11335444.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,[p]Pork steaks...slathered with Maull's?[p]OOOOOh Yea!![p]That hits home for a Midwest boy!!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • SouthOfI10
    Options
    DSC00613edit.jpg
    <p />Egger,
    Agree with Chubby. These were direct to 140F with Shaking the Tree rub. Makes me hungry...

• thirdeye
    Options
    e801917a.jpg
    <p />Chubby,[p]Here's one back to ya.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Ahhh, my favorite!

• thirdeye,[p]Still new at this...It looks like you have the chops raised up. What is the purpose of this and what do I need to buy to do it?[p]THE GREEN EGG IS ADDICTIVE!
  • thirdeye
    Options
    1da56bac.jpg
    <p />Egger,[p]Yes, those steaks are being cooked with a raised grate set-up. This picture is a better view. I have a homemade ring spacer that lifts up the main grate 3-1/2" above it's regular position (resting atop the fire ring). To that I have added a BGE clip-on Grate Extender.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I think my egg is almost as "seasoned" as yours. Ain't it great!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dang Chubby. Looks like maybe you have cooked once or twice before. You did those things righteous for sho. Man them is purty.[p]What temps/time/internal temps did you use for those if you wouldn't mind?? Most tradtitional pork steaks (and those) are cut from the shoulder, right? We rarely see these out east, but the Vietnamese cook thin pieces of skewered shoulder on a hot grill and it is very good. I love pulled pork, but I really enjoy seeing all the different ways you can prepare shoulder meat.[p]That's artwork, Evans,
    Beers to you
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • DaytonEgger
    Options
    IMG_0870.jpg
    <p />Egger,[p]I got some bone-in enter cut loin chops, cut thick (1.5 inches or so). Brined them, then treated them like a steak--grill over high heat, then let them dwell with the vents closed to finish off. Took them off at 140 degrees internal.[p]They were good, but a bit tougher than I like (due to being too lean, I think). Rib chops have more fat and would be more tender and juicy.

• GATOR BOB
    Options
    Chubby,
    you say to treat those chops like a steak. Do you mean
    T Rex them? Your chops looked awsome. What kind of sauce was that?