Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A New Twist on an Old Recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a kid growing up in Nebraska, my mom used to make runzas--a mixture of ground beef, cabbage and onions encased in her homemade bread. Since my parents were visiting this week, I decided to make a batch of runzas on the Egg. [p]I browned a pound of ground beef, drained it and added the diced onions and shredded red cabbage. While it was covered and cooking over low heat, I punched down the bread dough that had been rising for nearly an hour (you can use just about any bread machine recipe or even the frozen dough that you buy at the store)and divided it into eight equal portions. Once the cabbage in the meat mixture was just beginning to be tender, I rolled the first dough ball out to a 6" circle and spooned a half-cup of the meat mixture into the middle. I added some extra sharp cheddar cheese on top of the mixture and then folded up the edges of the dough to completely cover everything.[p]I had my pizza stone in the Egg, which was holding a good 350 degrees for the previous 30 minutes. I placed each runza, seam side down, on the stone and baked it for about 20 minutes. When the bread turned that lovely brown, I moved them to a platter and from there to the table.[p]My mom's runzas were good (at least I remember them being good), but the smoky flavor added by the Egg made mine even better. Is there nothing that this thing can't cook?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    VFucci, with the exception of the bread dough, this is almost a variation of the Italian Calzone...Check the recipe sections and Troy (Sprinter has a excellent Calzone and dough recipe you might like to try. I used the a herbed pizza dough from King Arthur Flour that added a extra zing to it, as well as mushrooms.
    Thanks for yours and your mothers variations..
    Cheers to ya..
    Char-Woody

• Char-Woody,[p]It did occur to me that this was some sort of German/Russian variation on the calzone (or perhaps vice versa?). Thanks for the bread dough tip--I'll give it a try.[p]Vanni Fucci

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    VFucci, I used "Spinner" Troy's version and added a few options, like mushrooms and split the peppers into two portions of yellow and green. I might try some Jalepeno cheese internal next time. Good stuff.
    I used a elevated pizza stone for the cook. I followed Troy's recommendations for the cook. They are excellent.
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W