Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

E-Z way to get rid of thermometer condensation

Options
TOROLNSTND
TOROLNSTND Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't been around in a while so I don't know if this has been covered, but last night while keeping a close eye on my start-up temp, I held a lit wooden kitchen match to the glass (actually 3 or 4) and the condensation, which had been so thick that I could not read any of the numbers, evaporated before my eyes. After about an hour the moisture built back up again, though not as heavy, so I repeated the process. Light moisture in there again this morning, so I did it one more time and it is now clean as a whistle.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    TOROLNSTND, I assume you have the second generation plastic lense so you'll want to be careful with that match. As for one of mine it got so much water inside that 1/3 of the dial was in water! I finally took a Dremel and drilled a tiny hole at 12:00 and 6:00 and blew the water out, let it sit in the hot sun a week and then ran scilicone clear around and filled the tinf holes. Still works...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    therm2.jpg
    <p />TOROLNSTND,[p]
    I assume you have an old thermometer with glass cover or the newest one with glass, if you have the plastic covered thermometer this will not work.[p]The moisture must be forced out and not just converted to a very humid area (which is what you made it do with the match). Place the thermometer in a toaster oven for 5-10 hr at 200-250 deg. This will dry it out. Then apply a tiny bead of clear caulk where the glass/metal meet.[p]Tim