Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon help with temperture and recipes

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]Trying salmon. Had a receipe that suggested cooking 8-10 hrs. Initially cook at 100 degrees and slowly increase temp up to 150 at about 5 hours. This was not a receipe for BGE, but for an electric smoker. I have not been able to get BGE to hold at 100 degrees. Ended up cooking it at 140-150 degrees and it was done in 3 hours. If I use less charcoal, not sure wood is going to smoke. [p]Is there a trick to low temperature cooking with BGE? Or are there better receipes?[p]Thanks for your help.[p]Nancy

Comments

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Nancy,[p]I like 450 degrees for 10 minutes per inch at the thickest part. If you're cooking steaks you flip them once. If it's a fillet it just lays there and you take it up with a spatula, leaving the skin on the grill (until cleanup time).[p]I like to glaze with a thin mixture of mustard and maple syrup or a mixture of honey, mustard and a little raspberry vinegar. Plain maple syrup mixed with a pinch of kosher salt works well, too.[p]David[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nancy,
    Holding temps under 200 with a clean burning fire is very difficult on the egg. I know Ashley set up a cold-smoking setup, using his small egg as the firebox and a dryer hose going from the vent of the small to the intake of the large. That will give you a true cold smoke.[p]I have had very tasty results using 200-250 over a liquid filled drip pan. It is not a genuine cold-smoke, but the results are tasty. Check out Gretl's dijon/bourbon recipe. It is a winner in the slow-smoke category. Also I like salmon the way davidm (below) mentioned. A hot grill and a short cook. Totally different from the several hour approach, but seared medium rare salmon is great in its own right.[p]HTH
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nancy,
    I certainly agree with others that for grilled salmon, go with the higher temp and shorter cook, and don't overcook, it will also keep cooking a bit after you take it off. However, for separate eating I tried the smoked salmon recipe I'd found here. Did a variant on the marinade, used pineapple juice, brown sugar, lots of ground black pepper, good fresh ground chile in quantity, a bit of Thai chile, pepper flakes to heat to taste, soy sauce and garlic salt -- then marinated nice thick Atlantic salmon steaks overnight (save the marinade, boil it down, and use it as delicious sauce later). I found it hard to hold temps below 100', but they stayed pretty close by nearly shutting it down, also used firebrick. Smoked those steaks for 10 hours. They were tender and moist, truly the best smoked salmon we have ever eaten, and we have eaten a lot of the best smoked salmon of both the New York Nova variety and New England smoked fillets of the finest quality, commercial as well as local. We will do it often for company, and serve for breakfast with scrambled eggs, too. The work involved is almost nil, as usual with the Egg. -- km