Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib & Guru question

Options
Scotty's Inferno
Scotty's Inferno Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a prime rib tonight. I am wondering if any of you use your guru for prime rib and if so, can you share your method??
Thanks, Scott

Comments

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno,
    It all depends on how you are going to cook it. Some like the searing method, followed by a typical roasting.[p]However, some like a low and slow for primerib as the following states:[p]"Beef reaches the ideal tenderness when it is slowly brought up to temperature, according to the kitchen scientist who wrote the fascinating work 'The Curious Cook', Harold McGee. I have to agree with him, so I'm suggesting you set your egg to 250F and plan to spend some time waiting for it."[p]"For a classically juicy, red, rare piece of meat, remove the roast from the egg when the internal temperature reaches 110. Lovers of ultra-rare, super tender beef that quivers like jelly may pull their ribs at 105. If you are a fan of better done beef, pull at 115. Gods help you if you pull any later than 120, as this is the way to dry, overdone meat."[p]If you go with this method, then you could use the guru set to 250 but personnally, I don't think the cooking time is ling enough to justify the guru set-up. But that is just me.[p]Anyway, it will be good!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p]The only time I ever heard that question explained any better was ... wa ... w... Hey wait a minute, I've never heard it explained any better.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • egghead2004
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    110? Holy Moo!!!![p]I like it red, about 130 - 135 after resting.

• Scotty's Inferno,
    I've done several prime rib roasts on the Egg+Guru: fantastic every time.
    I prep the roast with EVOO and a healthy coating of Raisin' the Steaks.[p]I cook with the Guru and dome at 325~350 F on a v-rack in a drip pan (no plate setter). I keep the Guru damper about 3/4 open during heat-up to 300, then close it to 1/2 open to reach 325~350. I like oak or pecan (pellets) for smoke flavor. I start with the ribs up for about an hour, then turn over and insert the temperature probe. A 4 lb roast takes about 2.5 hrs, an 8 lb takes about 3.5 hr.[p]Good luck and let us know how you made out!
    Bill

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Bill P, Thanks.

• HolySmokes
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno,[p]ooh, ooh, I know this one![p]actually not. I've always wanted to do a prime rib, but haven't yet found one when I had the cash to bring it home.[p]I wanna see photos! I'll bet that'll be great. And why wouldn't you use your guru, since it'll be a roasting session, not grilling.[p]Cheers (arm lifting with the scotch thing),
    HolySmokes

• HolySmokes
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    just that description makes my mouth water.
    thanks! HS

• 11feb07-018.jpg
    <p />HolySmokes,
    like this?