Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any advice about a filet from Fresh Market with a little asparagus and baked potato? How should I do the steak? They are pretty thick cuts? Thanks
Greg

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ggraeber,
    Trex those babies....[p]sear at as high a temp as you feel comfortable, for as long as you like (til you get the type of sear you want).[p]take them off, and shut the egg down as much as you can without it being truly shut.[p]when the egg reads 400, put them on, and kick the vents open a bit to maintain 400.[p]roast til 5 degrees shy of done.[p]if you don't have a thermapen, then you are gonna hafta get one soon, or learn by feel if it's done.[p]try this test.
    relax your hand, palm up. touch the big old meaty pad of your thumb. that feels like rare.[p]make a firm fist. touch the same spot. that's about medium. [p]same tight fist, touch the web between the thumb and the first finger. that's well done (which is anything BUT well done).[p]
    there's not a lot of fat in filets. you could always sear to your liking at 650 or so, then shut all vents top and bottom, and let them roast til done.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ggraeber,[p]Great cut of meat and Fresh Market has good ones. Stike gave you good cooking instructions. I would recommend keeping it simple on the seasoning. Coat the steaks with EVOO and then salt (kosher) and pepper. I use McCormick's Seasoned Pepper blend. Heavier on the salt than pepper. Sear the steaks for 1.5 to 2 minutes, let rest, then cook to your preference.[p]I love filets.
  • ggraeber,
    I'm picking some up for tonight, but do what stike and ncegger say, sear over flames 1-2 minutes per side, rest while egg cools down your preferred dwelling temp. I like 300 personaly, it just takes a bit longer. Place them back on a raised grid and cook until 3-5 degrees below your target. mLet them rest under a foil tent for 5 -10 minutes.[p]
    This pic was taken when I fist got my egg in 2004.
    I pulled this one off at 130, it rose to 133 internal before I cut it. I just wish I used a higher quality format for the photo and better lighting. Maybe tonight I will try again.[p]mmmm%20tenderloin.jpg[p]

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    For Valentines, I rubbed one side with 1/8 tsp of Dale's marinade with a very light dusting of garlic powder. Then I flipped sides for a bit of salt & pepper. I nuked a couple of pieces of bacon in the microwave for 1 minute so that it's just slightly cooked. When the bacon was cool, I toothpicked it around the sides. Then it sat for 30 minutes.[p]My egg was just under 450 degrees. I was also doing lobster tails in the center of my grill. I wanted to cook the filet at the same time without a lot of opening/closing the lid, but I was worried about overcooking it since the lobster required 10 minutes. So I just put them on the edge (not under the hottest part of my fire).[p]Came out very nice. Bacon was crisp and the filet was medium rare, juicy, and tender. I've got to start taking pictures of these things. But to be honest, when I see them at that stage, I say "(BLEEP) the camera; let's eat."