Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wah-Wah Ribs

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took off the spares after 5 hours. I was trying to do a super smoke at low temps (170*F) while letting the temp slowly rise to the 225-250 range. I put the ribs on at 6pm at 170 and saw the dome temp rise to about 200. At 8:30pm, I noticed that the dome temp had fallen back to about 170. I thought the fire had gone out but in the process of holding the dome open to check and opening the vents, I drew out some new smoke and realized that the fire was still going. I kept the vents at a position a little more open than the one that had caused the temp to drop to 170 and saw the temp rise to about 250. Took the ribs off at about 11pm and I truly wanted to cry. I spent about 10 minutes slicing these puppies up and placing in foil for fridge storage until reheating begins tomorrow at about 10:30am at the game.[p]Oh, the juice!!! Man, the smoke!!! And wow, those herbs!!! These things brought tears to my eyes! I ate one and had a piece of meat from another. I cried again as I put them in the fridge since I knew I wouldn't see them again for another 8 hours. I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight knowing that I have these beauties in the fridge. I'm just hoping the reheated product is 1/10th as good as the fresh product. I plan on placing the ribs in the mini in 3 batches with some fresh Bonesuckin' Hot Q' Sauce for 10 minutes or so to reheat.[p]Never tried the Wa-Wa Wings from Smokin' Eddie...though I've heard they're plenty good. These ribs were so good, though, that I think I'll call them Wah-Wah Ribs since the taste is so good it makes you want to cry. Basically, slow smoked over a combo of hickory/apple with salt (since everything needs salt), pepper (since Cornfed likes pepper), sugar (for crust), paprika (for color), and sage + herbs de provence (for awesome flavor). I think it was JAppledog who mentioned that she did a rib cookoff for kids and enjoyed the ones with herbs de provence the best. This time, I used a premade dry version. Next time, I'll use a home concocted version to see the difference.[p]To sum up, cook your ribs low and slow and use 'dem herbs!!! Can't wait to hear the opinions of the tailgate attendees tomorrow to see if they enjoy these babies as much as I do.[p]Go Yanks,
Cornfed

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cornfed, me thinks you have arrive at your ultimate..hey, if you have the time and would like to sort of throw that herb mix proportions to me via e.mail, I will give it a go next week. I have to do a test run on a variety of ribs, spares and loinbacks.
    Thanks for the insight into super ribs...:-)
    C~W[p]