Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt is on....moving fast...too fast?

Options
GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started by first pork butt, actually a NY shoulder, (about 17lbs)this afternoon around 4pm at 300 indirect and I am a bit concerned that the temp is already at 154 by 9:30pm. I was expecting it to take all night.[p]Should I be concerned?[p]GJ[p]

Comments

• GJ,[p]I'm not real familiar with that cut, but it may be due to the high temp. Most of us smoke the meat at 225-250 for Pulled Pork, at that low of temp it will take all night. If you think the temp is rising too fast, check to see that the probe isn't too close to the bone. That will cause the temp to register artificially high.[p]If the internal temp is correct, don't worry. Try to get the temp down a bit before bedtime. The Pork will take a while to get through the plateau from 160-170. When it hits 200, it's done and will be exceptional.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Irish Smoker, I think you nailed it pretty good. I might add that the danger of running too high a temperature even indirect, you develop the crusting quite rapidly while the inner meat hasn't had the time to rise to the calogen breakdown temps. Slowing down the cook as you say will help move it in that direction. My last butt ran up to 325 during the night..really a hard crusting..but the internal was good to fine..Some parts just a tad to the dry side from overcooking. I had 208 on the internal temp :-)
    C~W[p]